cleaning

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-MAN

Reaction score
i have alot of stains on my tracker 1542 from the waters i fish... is there any way to get them off? i have tried washing and pressure washing but no luck.

Mine's pretty grimey too, I use a hard brush (not wire or metal) to scrub it off. The car wash brush and sprayer won't touch it.

I have stains that I remove with a product called Iron Out from Menards.I mix it with a little Simple Green, spray it on, brush, hose off. :lol:

Slimy Grimy is great stuff. Takes off the scum line when I fish a certain lake by me.

A 3m pad and some bar keepers friend works good on the tough stuff, but my boats not painted just bare aluminium. You have to some scrubbing but it will take off some grimey stuff. I get the pad wet and kind of create a paste with the cleaner scrubbing it in. Then just hose it off.

Is this the sort of stain you're talking about?

DSC00188.jpg

It took me less than 10 minutes to go from that to this.

511bf7bd.jpg

And that "less than 10" includes both sides and the transom. It was just a test on my part so I only rubbed it on the area of the brownish stain, and I was in shock at how well it worked (my first time trying this). Needless to say I'll be using it from now on, or until I find an easier method. What I used was a 1 part water, 1 part Alumabrite, goggles, a good rubber glove (you don't want Alumabrite on your skin). I worked in small sections 3-4' at a time. A couple of quick rubs with the rag, rinse, and move to the next area. I'm not sure how well a more diluted mixture will work, but I plan to find out later this year.

JMichael said:
Is this the sort of stain you're talking about?

DSC00188.jpg

It took me less than 10 minutes to go from that to this.

511bf7bd.jpg

And that "less than 10" includes both sides and the transom. It was just a test on my part so I only rubbed it on the area of the brownish stain, and I was in shock at how well it worked (my first time trying this). Needless to say I'll be using it from now on, or until I find an easier method. What I used was a 1 part water, 1 part Alumabrite, goggles, a good rubber glove (you don't want Alumabrite on your skin). I worked in small sections 3-4' at a time. A couple of quick rubs with the rag, rinse, and move to the next area. I'm not sure how well a more diluted mixture will work, but I plan to find out later this year.

Yea thats the stain lol.. will it work with a painted boat as well?

thanks everyone i have a bottle of simple green around the house.. ill try that next time.

T-MAN said:

I couldn't say one way or the other about use on painted boats because mine are all bare aluminum. I have seen my buddy put pure 100% Alumabrite on his fully enclosed (aluminum) trailer that is mostly painted surfaces and it worked fine on that without any ill effects to his paint.

JMichael said:
T-MAN said:

I couldn't say one way or the other about use on painted boats because mine are all bare aluminum. I have seen my buddy put pure 100% Alumabrite on his fully enclosed (aluminum) trailer that is mostly painted surfaces and it worked fine on that without any ill effects to his paint.

Hmm... I guess ill have to try it in a small spot under the boat to see first, just to make sure hahaha

If you still have the factory paint like I do on my 1542 I would be very very careful. My paint flakes off just looking at it. A big screw up however could give you an excuse to paint it correctly. Simple green is gentle and does great on most surfaces with minimal scrubbing.