How my boat "sits" in the water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grover

Reaction score
Got my first fishing boat this spring and I have a question about how it sits in the water. It is a 1974, I think, Lowe 1448 jon. We have an 8hp motor on it and a old 34# thrust minn-kota transom mount trolling on the front. The previous owner has a small platform on the front of the boat and the rest are just the usual bench seats. The thing is it seems to sit lower in the water at the front of the boat. You can tell from the water lines on the side that this is the way is has been for a while. I don't know if this is normal or not. My theory is the platform up front sits where the underside slopes up so with a person up front it is going to want to dip lower in the front.

My son and I are going to be stripping it down this winter and doing some painting, fixing, etc. Is there anything wrong with the way it is now and is there anything we should do different?

Hi, Gover.
Sounds ike a great father-and-son project, not to mention the fishng trips that will follow.
Do you have some pics of tin in the water?

I have a 1448 w/ an 8 HP also. There is a deck up front, along with the TM. Gas and battery are in back. With no one in the boat it sits level, just me and will tilt to the front and rear slightly when I move to those areas, no issue though. Think all of my mods added about 125 lbs to the boat. Just curious, hows the 8 push your rig?

Ictalurus,
Your setup sounds a lot like mine except my battery is in the middle of the boat.
Not sure how fast the 8hp will push it because I don't have a gps yet. If I were to guess I would say maybe 8 mph. That was with 4 pretty large people (at least 850 pounds). This last weekend was the first time out with the motor running decent so I don't know what it would be like with 2 people.

Latest posts