Primer Mistake?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backslider

Reaction score
I just finished painting a coat of primer on the below-water-line part of my hull, and the transom. The boat is aluminum. I used Valspar metal primer--but (as my neighbor kindly pointed out) it doesn't specifically say its an aluminum primer. I looked on-line and found that Rustoleum makes a primer specifically for aluminum. Now I'm worried that I used the wrong stuff. Do you think the Valspar primer will hold up?

Attachments

• DSCN4375 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4375 (Medium).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 561
  • DSCN4379 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4379 (Medium).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 561
If you search the posts on here, you will see most recommend an aluminum primer as it promotes a chemical reaction that bonds really well with bare aluminum. Having said that, you have to remember paint technology has also changed just within the lsst year. For example, I have a buddy who is a rep for Behr paints, and they have demonstrated to their reps through scientific testing ( ie control paints, large sample size, etc) that their new all in one paint and primer can be used effectively and is very robust on bare metals, including aluminum. They even guarantee it for pai ting bare aluminum siding. The specialty aluminum primers are really effective for harsh conditions where the metal will be exposed to salt and other corrosive salts like potassium. If youre putting your rig in salt or brackish waters, then your primer may flake sooner. If you are putting it in freshwater only, then itll last longer, and if you are not leaving it in water for weeks at a time (ie, docked), then I believe your primer will hold up for a number ofbyears, especially if you use a good topcoat too.

TheMaestro said:
I have a buddy who is a rep for Behr paints, and they have demonstrated to their reps through scientific testing ................

Sorry to hijack but, I've been using Behr paints for interior and exterior house painting for many years and have had very good results, until lately. I noticed that while painting at my son's house, it now takes two coats or more to cover well.

Lately, I've switched over to Dunn Edwards paints and even though it is a little more pricey, the primers and paints cover a lot better. JMHO

I agree leave it as is. Even if you only got one or two seasons with it it's still better than stripping it now and spending more time out of the water.

Rub a piece of wood on it, see if it flakes off. If it scratches is one thing, If it peels like a orange that's to worry about, just try it in 1 small area.

Latest posts