Trolling Setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_j

Reaction score
First time poster long time luker, Anyone setup their boat for trolling? I have a 16ft tin, I have been reading about trolling for Walleye (we have some lakes with them) has any one ever tried or have a setup? planers? Thx Jason

I troll every now and then for walleye. It's another way to fish while I'm moving to another spot (my boat's not a speedster, so if it's gonna take a bit to get there, might as well fish my way there). My boat's 12' - I'd love to have the room of a 16'er.

Not a whole lot to it - get some rod holders you like, get some inline planer boards (the mast kits are nice for big water, but unnecessary for walleye IMO), a few line counter rods (again, not necessary but man oh man do they make targeting depth easier), and go for a drive.

My very basic setup compared to guys that do this stuff constantly:
Rod holders - I'm torn at the moment between my Scotty holders (will probably keep them) and picking up a set of Driftmasters
Planers - Offshore Tackle
Rod/Reel - Either the bright yellow Starfire Eagle Claw trolling rod or Diawa Wilderness, reels are all Diawa LC's.

Other than rod holders, you can pretty much longline without the need of planers if you're only using a few rods (left/right/rear of boat) - so don't think you need to get everything just to go trolling.

You will also want to be careful where you mount the rod holders. I sit to starboard and run the tiller with my left hand. Being right handed, I hold the rod in my right hand and keep the it pointing to port. The driver's rod holder is mounted on the port gunwale for convenience and easy watching. The sonar is also mounted to the driver's left.
I set up a rod holder for my passenger on the starboard gunwale to keep the lines as far apart as possible
If I am fishing three rods, mine is held over my left shoulder and about over the motor, with the third fisher holding their rod out the port side.

Latest posts