Best mod I did this month

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
So the most useful mod I did this year so far was put some cheap plastic anchor cleats on the front and rear of my boat in easy reach of my fishing seat. It cost me about $4 and 5 minutes of time to find my drill, a bit, 4 screws and nuts - then drill 4 holes and attach. Here is what I used - I chose plastic in case something goes wrong and the anchor line wanted to break (say someone is a jerk and runs accross my anchor line, I was ok with the plastic breaking rather than my boat sinking.

S-D-043540-1_med.jpg

This makes anchoring a breeze. This weekend, I would move with the trolling motor till I found crappie then quietly lower the anchor down and tie off in 2 seconds and get back to fishing. It only took one hand, I never had to put the rod down! Pulling the anchor didn't mean any untieing knots, just unweave and hoist up. Quiet, effienct, and cheap!

Those are nice, but I prefer the anchor rollers you can get at Walmart, Bass Pro, etc. They're about $5, quick to use, and easier to pull the anchor up with the roller. I have one on front and back of my boat. I'd post a pic if I knew how.

This makes anchoring a breeze. This weekend, I would move with the trolling motor till I found crappie then quietly lower the anchor down and tie off in 2 seconds and get back to fishing. It only took one hand, I never had to put the rod down! Pulling the anchor didn't mean any untieing knots, just unweave and hoist up. Quiet, effienct, and cheap!

Don't you love the cheap fixes that make life that much easier.

Early spring, I bought a neck gator to wear when it's cool. It was the best $20 I've spent in years. I use it to not only keep me warm (when it was cooler out), but it keeps the sun off my neck in the heat, and holds my hat on when I'm running hard.

Congrats. You've done well grasshopper. :LOL2:

I use the same one, and it's mounted directly under the shaft of my bow mount foot controlled trolling motor when it's in the stowed position and doubles as a tie down for it while trailering.

Andy Taylor said:
Those are nice, but I prefer the anchor rollers you can get at Walmart, Bass Pro, etc. They're about $5, quick to use, and easier to pull the anchor up with the roller. I have one on front and back of my boat. I'd post a pic if I knew how.

Is that the one where the anchor stays attached to it? I usually keep my anchors stowed away so one that has it attached to the boat would be harder to work with. BUT I fished with a guy who had an anchor-mate and that was pretty handy for him to use from the back of the boat - especially in the river.

wasilvers said:
So the most useful mod I did this year so far was put some cheap plastic anchor cleats on the front and rear of my boat in easy reach of my fishing seat. It cost me about $4 and 5 minutes of time to find my drill, a bit, 4 screws and nuts - then drill 4 holes and attach. Here is what I used - I chose plastic in case something goes wrong and the anchor line wanted to break (say someone is a jerk and runs accross my anchor line, I was ok with the plastic breaking rather than my boat sinking.

S-D-043540-1_med.jpg

I have 2 of these and have one mounted on the boat. I love it and us it all the time when I drop anchor. It's just a quick release cleat not any kind of roller. I drop the anchor overboard then secure the line in the cleat. Quick to put the rope in and out. They also come in a stainless steel version but I also have the plastic ones.

wasilvers said:
Andy Taylor said:

Is that the one where the anchor stays attached to it? I usually keep my anchors stowed away so one that has it attached to the boat would be harder to work with. BUT I fished with a guy who had an anchor-mate and that was pretty handy for him to use from the back of the boat - especially in the river.

No. I keep my anchors stowed away also until I need them.

Andy Taylor said:
wasilvers said:
Andy Taylor said:

No. I keep my anchors stowed away also until I need them.

Now you've got me curious - I know you said you have issues posting pics, but is there anyway you could post a link to what you're referring to?

I use the more traditional style cleats but I'm liking the fastrope style pictured here. I don't think my local place stocks the plastic ones, just the metal ones. I think the metal ones are a bit overkill - as well as more expensive that I want to spend on them.

I don't know how to post a link either, BUT type the following into the search bar at BPS: 38-577-054-00. It shows $7.79. When I bought mine at Walmart they were $5.

https://www.basspro.com/Marine-Rope-Grippers/product/854/87513?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

ROLL.png

BAD DRAWING BUT THE RED AND WHITE CIRCLES(WHITE IS A MEATAL PIN AND RED IS A PLASTIC PIN) ARE PINS TO HOLD BOTH GREY SIDES TOGETHER, THE BLACK DEAL IS WHAT HOLDS THE ROPE AGAINST THE RED PIN ON THE RIGHT AND ROPE FEEDS FROM LEFT. BLACK DEAL IS LIKE A PENDULAM AND CANT GO PAST THE RIGHT PIN BUT WHEN U PULL TOWARDS YOU(LEFT) IT WILL GO OVER THE LEFT PIN AND ALLOW ROPE TO BE PULLED IN. IF ANYONE DONT UNDERSTAND I CAN GO TAKE A PIC OF MINE...

Latest posts