14' Crestliner questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverad04

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the site, and new to boat ownership. My dad lives a couple hours away and he found a 1958 14' Crestliner for $450, so I had him pick it up for me. I haven't picked it up from his house yet, but I have a couple questions for you guys and gals. I believe it's a Viking Crestliner from other pictures I have seen online...not sure yet I'll have to measure the beam, I think the Viking has a 63" beam. I called the previous owner and asked what he used to redo the transom, and he told me he used pine, and then coated it. I'm not sure what he coated it with? Should I redo the transom in say white oak? Also I see a lot of people on here using the term gunwale for the edge of the boat, which is how I thought it was spelled, but others say gunnels. Which is the proper usage? I plan to build a casting deck, it appears many other have done the same. Does anyone know the weight difference in using wood vice aluminum for the framing? As far as engines go, considering the added weight of the casting decks and accessories what is a good size motor to get me on plane? I was thinking about a 25 horse motor. The brochures for the Viking Crestliner says the max rated motor on this model is a 60 horse motor, that seems huge for a 14' boat. I am willing to save up for a nicer motor 1000-2000 but what motor should I look for in that price range? My dad has a Targa 17' with 90 merc four stroke and he got a new ipilot trolling motor and gave me the old power drive v2 off his boat and his old gps so I'm covered there. Is this considered a deep v boat? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
-Rob
heres some pics

14footcrestliner.jpg

14ft.jpg

60 hp!!! That cannot be correct. It must not be a Viking model then #-o Going off the pics I would say a 25hp short shaft would be a great fit for that boat and will plane it all day long at 25mph plus after you put floors and what not in it. There should be a metal tag on the transom somewhere that will give the max HP rating, unless it has been taken off or painted over.

Welcome to the site :)

Welcome to tinboats and nice find.
That looks to be a semi V to me.
I agree with johny,
I think a 25hp 2 stroke would be plenty of motor for that rig.
I would consider a 20hp in 4 stroke because of the weight difference.
Have fun with your mod.

Thanks guys, check this out.
https://www.retrocrestliner.com/images/1958%20Crestliner%20manual%207.jpg
My dad measured the beam and said it was 63". It looks to me like it was a model 710, the previous owner said it had a windshield.

My guess is that the model with the steering console may have been rated for 60 hp. But you have to remember also that the 60's of that era did not put out 60hp at the prop.

Also IMO it doesn't look like it is a 710. The bow cap looks much smaller and shorter on yours compared to the 710

I noticed that too. Idk, the guy said he bought it from an old man who never used it, and that it used to have a windshield. I kinda wish theyd left it, if it did have one, o well. Plus the seats are spaced accordingly. I guess it will give me more usable space for sitting and watching my line not move. Rob

My question is where the heck was the windshield installed at #-o I mean if it had the long wide bow cap like the Viking model has I could see where the windshield could go, but it does not look like a windshield was ever on the boat in the pic. Unless something else has been removed also?

acabtp said:
what is the width of the transom? you can easily calculate the HP it is rated for

I don't have it yet. I have to go pick it up at my dads sometime in the next week. I'll measure it as soon as I pick her up.

-Rob

Well my mods will have to wait, I had a blowout on the highway. I knew my tires were getting bad. It was only a little bit more for me to buy new tires and rims, so I got new kicks for my towing rig...and now I'm poor.

untitled.jpg

You're not poor, you're just "cash-flow challenged." If you're a fairly young man, you can quickly make some cash to make up when you just spent by finding older folks in their fifties living near you who want their yards mowed and blowed. Pays fairly decent nowadays and is a quick way to make some cash.

Very nice choice in tires and rims =D> . I have had my BFG all terrains for 4 years now, great all around tire and they look really good. Glad to see you left the white lettering on the outside. Some people turn them in and it looks terrible.

Johny25 said:
Very nice choice in tires and rims =D> . I have had my BFG all terrains for 4 years now, great all around tire and they look really good. Glad to see you left the white lettering on the outside. Some people turn them in and it looks terrible.
Thanks, yeah i figured it would look weird with the letters inboard. How is the ride on yours? Mine seems rougher then the 275/65/18 BFG rough terrain's(same height) I had on it before I got these. I guess I could check my tire pressure. They deff look sweet though.

Silverad04 said:
Hey all, I'm new to the site, and new to boat ownership. My dad lives a couple hours away and he found a 1958 14' Crestliner for $450, so I had him pick it up for me. I haven't picked it up from his house yet, but I have a couple questions for you guys and gals. I believe it's a Viking Crestliner from other pictures I have seen online...not sure yet I'll have to measure the beam, I think the Viking has a 63" beam. I called the previous owner and asked what he used to redo the transom, and he told me he used pine, and then coated it. I'm not sure what he coated it with? Should I redo the transom in say white oak? Also I see a lot of people on here using the term gunwale for the edge of the boat, which is how I thought it was spelled, but others say gunnels. Which is the proper usage? I plan to build a casting deck, it appears many other have done the same. Does anyone know the weight difference in using wood vice aluminum for the framing? As far as engines go, considering the added weight of the casting decks and accessories what is a good size motor to get me on plane? I was thinking about a 25 horse motor. The brochures for the Viking Crestliner says the max rated motor on this model is a 60 horse motor, that seems huge for a 14' boat. I am willing to save up for a nicer motor 1000-2000 but what motor should I look for in that price range? My dad has a Targa 17' with 90 merc four stroke and he got a new ipilot trolling motor and gave me the old power drive v2 off his boat and his old gps so I'm covered there. Is this considered a deep v boat? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
-Rob
heres some pics

14footcrestliner.jpg

14ft.jpg

the pine will be fine, he probally coated it with spar urethane would be my guess. gunwales or gunnels, wichever you prefer they are one in the same. aluminum will save a lot of weight and it will last forever, id go with aluminum. 25 hp should be plenty of HP as long as you dont add a ton of weight wich if you go the aluminum route you wont. if you want the most reliable, easy to maintain motor for your money you should be able to find a late 70's to upper 80's johnson/evinrude 25-35 hp for around 1000 bucks give or take a couple hundred. if it was taken care of and you do the same it will probally out live you and me. even the 60' and early 70's models if maintained will do the same, their built like tanks, parts still available in the millions lol! thats my .02 cents and if you read some posts you will see im not the only one who has this opinion. the boats not a deep v but a semi-v(front of hull is v shaped then flattens out as you go back to stern. nice boat btw...

Silverad04 said:
Johny25 said:
Thanks, yeah i figured it would look weird with the letters inboard. How is the ride on yours? Mine seems rougher then the 275/65/18 BFG rough terrain's(same height) I had on it before I got these. I guess I could check my tire pressure. They deff look sweet though.

I have them on my 97' suburban 32 X 11.50's barely fit after cranking the torsion bars up. I had some highway rumble for a few months but then they quieted down. They seem to handle fine with no roughness. I run mine at 50psi. My truck is also a freaking tank so it may just ride smoother with the weight?

Latest posts