Newbie with a rivet question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyG

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

I have just started working on our 1960 14ft Alumacraft and have a riveting (haha) question .......

What size (length) rivets do I need for the boat walls where I am basically riveting existing drilled holes to fill in the holes?
I've spent quite a bit of time searching this awesome forum for this info but I somehow missed it.
I know now to get aluminum 3/16ths closed blind rivets ......just need to know
the proper length. :)
Also, where is the best place to get these rivets? I looked at Lowes, Home depot and Harbor Freight this weekend and could not find any 3/16ths closed end blind rivets of any length. :eek:

Thank you very much!!
JennyG :)

I buy all of my rivets from here:

https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

The grip range is the working length, you'll need the .020 - .125 grip range for your application. This rivet will work in metals from 1/48" - 1/8" thick.

One thing you want to be aware of when buying your rivets is what is the thickest section of metal you are going to want to rivet together. If you buy rivets for your "average" application, you won't be able to use them for your "thickest" application. They won't have the reach. I found buying a mix of rivets makes good sense. For my boat, I bought 1/2" rivets for the "average" application and bought the longest rivet the online outfit sold for my thickest application.

Also, think about using the "flush-mount" rivets for your floors. These of course mount flush to the floor, so no tripping over them. A big deal in my case, since my wife has a ankle ball fused together due to a previous accident and has a tendency to trip because of it.

DaveInGA said:
Also, think about using the "flush-mount" rivets for your floors. These of course mount flush to the floor, so no tripping over them. A big deal in my case, since my wife has a ankle ball fused together due to a previous accident and has a tendency to trip because of it.

Would a "flush-mount" be the same thing as a countersunk head rivet?

Sorry to come and ask question in your thread but I'm kinds confused about rivets also.
I'm thinking of using aluminum square for my framing. If I use rivets into my ribs on floor
how do I know the length of the rivet to buy. Obviously I never used before. I don't want rivet
going through hull. ](*,) ](*,)

flajsh said:
Sorry to come and ask question in your thread but I'm kinds confused about rivets also.
I'm thinking of using aluminum square for my framing. If I use rivets into my ribs on floor
how do I know the length of the rivet to buy. Obviously I never used before. I don't want rivet
going through hull. ](*,) ](*,)

The thickness of the 2 materials being fastened together determines the length of the rivet. If you're fastening a 1/8" piece of tube to a 1/16" rib you'll need a rivet with a 3/16" grip range, that rivet would be a .126 - .250 grip range. The grip ranges are in decimals of an inch instead of fractions.

Thanks to jigngrub, crazymanme2, DaveinGa, and Gramps50 for your quick and great responses!! :) I appreciate each reply!
Ps: flajsh: you are more than welcome to jump in and ask all the questions you want on any thread I start! It only helps us all to learn more. :)

You guys all rock!

Thanks again!
Jenny

jigngrub said:
DaveInGA said:

Would a "flush-mount" be the same thing as a countersunk head rivet?

Yes, but I had a nasty allergy congestion headache and a grandfather moment, so I couldn't come up with countersunk.

Once you determine the length you need go to any boat dealer and they should have them in stock. If you have any air tools you can take an air cheisl and make a bit for it and zap the riverts in in a very short order and you will never know where the new ones are except for color. I can tell you how to make the bit if you want.

Latest posts