Livewell overflow location

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander65

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people that put their overflow outlet for the livewell below the waterline on the outside of the boat. I would think this would make the water backup in the overflow line and not flow out smoothly. I am guessing this is not true since so many have done it. Just looking for confirmation before i proceed to put mine in a similar location.

Water pressure is higher at the overflow tube in the tank than at the outlet below the water line. You'll be fine.

The reason for the overflow below the waterline is to keep the sound level down. It keeps the water from splashing everytime that the circulator pump runs.

The only drawback is that if your over flow is tied to your livewell drain, it is likely that if you leave the livewell empty on a fishing trip, the water may flow into the livewell through the drain. If I'm not using the livewell, I plug the drain to prevent water to come back in.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, it makes a lot of sense. I have a seperate drain for the livewell in the bottom with a plug, so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

Had a buddy with a procat fiberglass boat (new) that had 2 baitwells in back situated high, probably 3.5 ft above the water line. In any case, we took it out for its maiden test run and fishing trip. Were running along about 30mph and both baitwells are overflowing into the boat. They drained to the bottom of the boat and being underway forced water up the hose into the bait well, he had to plug both baitwells when under way at all times.
Tim

My overflow/drain on my live well is below the waterline, right next to the suction tube, im thinking it has a check valve to keep the boat from filling up, but I don't see one.

GYPSY400 said:
My overflow/drain on my live well is below the waterline, right next to the suction tube, im thinking it has a check valve to keep the boat from filling up, but I don't see one.

You should not need a check valve because of the water pressue. On the star craft that I added a livewell to, the livewell sat at the water line and I ran one line out the bottom and the fill line at the top. I plugged the lower line when it was in use and when I wanted to drain it I just plulled the plug. The lower line drained back thru the pump. I also had an overflow out the top. On the Lund which I bought new the livewell was sat up almose the same way as the starcraft.

Latest posts