Need Help picking out Boat for the whole family

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstallings

Reaction score
Just posted this in the watering hole and realized it wasn't the best place for it...

I've been running a customized Lowe 1448 big jon for around 12 years. I have a 2005 or 2006 tohatsu 25hp on it. It has worked great for me and my 5 yr old son, but my wife wants to start going with our daughter. She mainly wants to trout Fish since we live so close to the Little Red and White River in Arkansas.

I need a boat that can accommodate my whole family (2 Adults and 2 Kids). I've considered an actually fiberglass 20ft trout boat, but I'm not sure I want that. What brand of aluminum boat has the most floor room in it? I would like to use my current 25hp motor on it. I think I want at least want a 1648. Not sure I can go any smaller than that, but I not sure my 25HP Tohatsu will adequately push more than that. I’ve got used to running 28-30mph in my 1448. I guess I want a boat that is not overly heavy and has an open design.
Any thoughts...

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TinBoats! You don't say how your current boat is setup, but if you are looking for light weight and floor space Alumacraft makes a 1648 riveted jon with no center seat. Lots of floor space.

gillhunter said:
Welcome to TinBoats! You don't say how your current boat is setup, but if you are looking for light weight and floor space Alumacraft makes a 1648 riveted jon with no center seat. Lots of floor space.

My current set up in my 1448...

I completely gutted the front bench and front deck. Then built the a new larger front deck (can't remember the deminsions) that left me 6 foot of open floor space. Enough for most rods and for me to take a nap :D . I carpeted it and installed a couple doors on the deck. I actually love the boat, but I'm afraid it won't work for the whole family.

That alumacraft may work if it doesn't have a front bench. I was looking at their webite the other day and never saw one without a front bench, so I need to look a little more. Thanks!

You might check this out.

I don't see one on their 2012 website without a floor. I know they had one in 2011 because I looked at one before I bought my 1648MV last year.

https://www.alumacraft.com/2012-models/sierra-1648/sierra-1648/

Ok...so I really like the alumacraft 1648s that I found on I-boats. Price isn't that bad either. https://boats.iboats.com/alumacraft-jon-boats/b821c200021pa2/ Assuming they make boats for short shaft motors, which I'm pretty certain they do as the specs show it online. Price isn't that bad either.

I like how the modified V bottoms look, but what is the real difference bewteen flat bottom and MV bottom. I assume MVs will cut through the water better, especially choppy water. I swore I would never buy another flat nose boat when I duck hunted becuase I could never glance of trees. I would hit them and completely stop, but I hardly ever duck hunt anymore.

I go on almost all types of waters. Big Rivers (arkansas river), lakes of all sizes, small sloughs, and small shallow rivers. Where I trout fish (white river and little red) is can get shallow in places. I also drift fish a lot for trout. Which type boat would work better for me? Would a flat bottom run shallower and drift better?

Thanks!

Here is there 2012 catalog https://www.alumacraft.com/catalog/

Jon goats start on page 26 I think. Looks like the have a 1648 NCS with and without a floor, but only in MV.

gillhunter, I just looked at you build and I must say it is very nice! Similar to what I want to do if/when I ever save enough to upgrade from a 1436 to 1648.

I think I would have to go with the 1648 alweld modified v myself for what you are talking about. the 25 would push it great and it should draft pretty shallow. I personally think the old school bull nose flat bottom will draft less but you have a point on the getting around thru trees.

The alweld will hold up to a tremoundus beating and on those shallow rivers you are talking about you don't have to worry about the rivits on rocks. they have a large following with the shallow water runners that are wanting to go pretty much anywhere. it will be my next boat.

my 2 cents only.

A 16ft with high sides is a nice compromise for the family. I'm pushing mine with a 25hp shortshaft also. It goes about 24mph max. Probably 21-22 with 2 adults and 2 kids. I've got some added weight with a flat 1/8 aluminum floor and a big tank under the front deck. I'm sure it would run faster stripped. I won't deny wishing I had a 40hp on there on a couple of long runs, but the 25 gets the job done.

cstallings said:
Ok...so I really like the alumacraft 1648s that I found on I-boats. Price isn't that bad either. https://boats.iboats.com/alumacraft-jon-boats/b821c200021pa2/ Assuming they make boats for short shaft motors, which I'm pretty certain they do as the specs show it online. Price isn't that bad either.

They make 15" and 20" transoms for short shaft and long motors.

I like how the modified V bottoms look, but what is the real difference bewteen flat bottom and MV bottom. I assume MVs will cut through the water better, especially choppy water. I swore I would never buy another flat nose boat when I duck hunted becuase I could never glance of trees. I would hit them and completely stop, but I hardly ever duck hunt anymore.

The modified vee cuts through the water better than a flat bottom. How much better I don't know because I never owned a flat bottom.

I go on almost all types of waters. Big Rivers (arkansas river), lakes of all sizes, small sloughs, and small shallow rivers. Where I trout fish (white river and little red) is can get shallow in places. I also drift fish a lot for trout. Which type boat would work better for me? Would a flat bottom run shallower and drift better?

I can't help you here. This is my first jon. Like Benjineer I always had deep vee boats until we moved south.

Thanks!

I just received an email from alumacraft answering a few questions I had compairing the two.

Quote "the boats you mentioned have about the same amount of draft. We started building the mv48 series about 30 years ago hoping it would eventually replace the flat series. We still sell a lot of both versions. The mv series will handle the choppy water better and offers a quieter ride but you lose floor space in that version. It basically comes down to what you want to do with that particular boat. If you have any other questions feel free to email me direct. Thanks"

Latest posts