Dog in a boat... Tips

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftingrz

Reaction score
Ok ive seen plenty of boats with dogs aboard.. and even a few Jon boats.. but usually nothing bigger than 30lbs... i love my dog (English Redtick Coonhound) but hes a wild one.. that nose never gives up.. so i dont take him Hiking as much as id like to.. he just never pulls his nose off the ground and enjoys himself hahaha.. just wants to drag whoever is holding him through the mountains

had thoughts of taking him in canoe last year... never got past the thought stage i just know he'd flip it... but now that ive pretty much got my Conversion done with lower deck and front deck aswell. so i want to take him out but would rather have another person to hold onto him the first time out to keep him from Jumping ship to chase some critters or just running around on the boat.. so i havent been able to get an extra set of hands yet...

anybody have any stories or tips on taking the dogs out? did they do suprisingly well? or was it a nightmare?? im sure im over thinking this.. he enjoys the water so i guess i just need to do it

IMAG0527.jpg

Only one way to find out, I say you just take him....my dog learned when he was a pup what jumping or falling out was all about. The first time I had him on a boat he jumped right in.....scared me but I think he actually enjoyed it. After a couple of times he learned how to ride when at wot.....he would even lean the right way on a hard turn, and would lay down if I jumped a wake. Dog's are smarter than you think, all I have to do is say BOAT, his tail starts a wagging.

We have a chihuahua and a Siberian husky. The chihuahua just cowers in the bottom of the boat scared for her life. the Husky loves water, loves to swim. We have taken the husky one time in the boat and it worked out ok. We had enough hands to keep her under control. Being by yourself I would recommend that you tether you dog to the center of the boat so that it has room to move around but not so much line as to jump over the side. Dont tie it to the side of the boat because it might hang itself if it decides to jump.

Heres the girls. 14 mo. old sisters. When they want out of the boat they go. Still learning and gettin better. I have never taken them alone. My best first mate and I go ( She can back up a trailor) . There gettin to big to lift in the boat. Got some jackets on sale from Cabelas , just havent tested them yet. Will post pics soon. Need a boat ride but its 100 here today.
I have never heard of a dog drowning because it coulndnt swim....River

Sorry the pics wont upload. They are black & white labs...

With my wirehair pointers and now with the Springer Spaniel, I did pre-schooling.

Took the canoe out on the lawn and put the dog in it. Made each of them sit, and then lie down, and stay.

Then walked away for a bit, came back, reassured them, and walked away again.

Did this three or four times, then, when they were in the boat, I went to the bow, where they could see me and gently rocked the craft, reassuring them. Did this three or four ...? who knows?...times.

I enforced the rules of sit and stay. Was less rigid about lie down.

The trips to the lake, and later, the river, were reinforcement of a variation on behavior I'd already trained.

Worked out, mostly. The first wirehair was best, but she was the best dog I've ever had. The male wirehair was a big goof, but learned (and leaned...canoe would go like this / with his head on the gunnel.)

The springer is still new to it, but is doing well, although the goslings in the lake prompt impassioned whining.
mickstandinginbow2.jpg

Might help, depending on the dog, and your relationship with it.

Best wishes.

As was posted earlier, get a life vest with a handle on it. We were trolling in Lake Mich several years ago and the waves we running 3 to 4 foot. A boat along side of us had a lab laying on the nose of the boat. They hit a big wave just right and the dog went in. They had no way to get ahold of it plus they would have to pick it up over 3 foot sidewall of the boat. They managed to finally get ahold of it somehow and pull it over the side. Could have turned out much worse.

Thanks guys.. ive been looking for a good life vest for him.. my local Bass Pro doesnt carry any good ones just cheap yellow ones with no handles.

The lifejacket that Ahab posted is a very good one. Canine Ruffwear, I think they call it. On the smaller dogs, it is easy to pick them up from the handle to carry them through the parking lot, without messing around with a leash, and does make recovery much easier on a dog in the water.

Some of the dogs I've had absolutely love the boat, some are scared for their life. I've got a little schipperke that is the best boat dog I've ever been around. His balance is impressive, so he has no issues, even when running down the lake. Full size dachshund loves it, but you have to keep an eye on her, as she will jump in after anything interesting.

On the other hand, my old black lab absolutely hated it, and my border collie mix has virtually no balance, so she is very uncomfortable in the boat.

My dog "Dudley" is pretty good on land. He stays on my small yard mostly but every once in a while his nose will get the best of him and he'll take a stroll.

A couple years back I decided to take him on a small fishing trip at a local lake.

I kept him on a leash in and out of the truck and walked him on the boat.

He was a little scared when we first got moving but within a few mins he was fine.

Pretty much just hung out and looked around...stayed in the boat the whole time.

Dudleyfishing007.jpg

mail4.jpg

My last dog did great in the boat unless it was really hot. She didn't like to swim all that much. Ran like a bat out of hell in the shallow water, but was not interested in the deep. I never had to worry about her jumping in and she did great. My current 2 dogs however......try to swim in their water bowls. Not had them in the boat yet, but I'm sure it will be an adventure. A big WET adventure.

Looking forward to it though.

My black retriever loves the boat, as long as it has a flat floor!!.. She's ok when trolling, but when I open 'er up and the aluminum bottom started to shake, she got rather cowardly..
In my new Legend, she enjoys it.. Getting better at the high speed runs as she now sits up on the casting deck with her nose in the wind.

My first time on the water with the dog was a good one, 3 guys, dog and gear in a 14ft.. I was amazed on how quickly they adapt and learn.. She didn't whine, or try to jump out... Which surprised me because she loves to swim.

If yours is as wild as mine don't plan on doing much fishing the first time out. Make it a pleasure trip.

The biggest problem I have with mine is she wants to swim 24/7.

My last lab/shephard mutt was a handfull. He rode great but anytime he saw those multi million dollar yards that look like a golf course he'd jump ship and take a dump rite in those hoytie toyties yards every time. Soon as he was done he'd come straight back to the boat like a teenager running from the cops. I:mrgreen:

Loggerhead Mike said:
He rode great but anytime he saw those multi million dollar yards that look like a golf course he'd jump ship and take a dump rite in those hoytie toyties yards every time. Soon as he was done he'd come straight back to the boat like a teenager running from the cops. I:mrgreen:

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: =D> =D> =D> =D> :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Well i took him out today and he enjoyed it. Was interested in the big cranes hanging out along river and the bass jumpin out if the water

He just stood on front deck the whole time other than when he wanted a drink hed reach iver the boat regardless of speed haha. Only tried to get in when i was stopped or trolling. Good day altogether. Will take him more often befire i start fishin with him

Latest posts