what size motor for my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsmith

Reaction score
I reciently picked up a 1442 duracraft, trailer and 25 evinrude with stick steering. The motor is having troubles and needs to go into the shop. It will not engage in forward or reverse and needs carb tune up. I am wondering, before I drop money into the motor, could I get by with a newer 15hp with this boat and 3 people in it? It is rated for a 25 and 4 people. I am slowly taking weight out of the boat to lighten it up. For instance I will be taking the fiberglassed plywood floors out and replacing with aluminum. I don't care about breaking any water speed records but do want it to plane out.

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    887.1 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    777.8 KB · Views: 1,096
I think it depends on what you are looking to do. If you are looking just to get to your fishing spots, it will do fine--but your not going to tow any skiers with it. It might get you on plane, it might only get one plane with 1 person in it. If it did get on plane with 3 people, it would no doubt need to be at or close to WOT. That is why I would go with a slightly larger motor, so you can keep an ideal cruising speed without needing to run the motor all out. Then again, if you just are looking to get to and from your fishing spot--a 15hp will be just fine.

Thank you both for the replies. I guess I'll get a quote on the 25 and look into what else i can find. I have so many things I wanna do!

I talked with a buddy tonight that has a 15hp 4stroke, we are gonna drop it on the boat and run down the road to the lake and run it one evening to see how it does. He is also gonna help me look into what is going on with my motor. Gotta love friends.

Try to stay with the max rating on the motor hp if you can. A 15hp should be fine but I would try to find a used 25 or get yours fixed.

I agree. I would try to keep the 25 hp. A properly tuned 25 hp, 2-stroke has a much better power to weigh ratio than modern 4-strokes. Try adjusting the trim/tilt and height of the motor before you give up on it. By adding the new motor, you'll loose 10 hp and probably gain weight which isn't a very good trade off.

Latest posts