Why so difficult finding a decent mid size Jon ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y2k600f4

Reaction score
Been actively looking for what I think would suite my needs (please comment)....it would be used for 90% fishing for 2-3 people my local lakes and rivers along with the saltwater bays and flats. It would also be occasionally used for recreational (family) and be able to carry 5-6 people. Was looking at a basic 17-18' Jon; tiller controlled 25 HP 4 stroke with galvanized traler any extras would be a plus.

What I am finding is no shortage of 12-14' Jons in various conditions with various motor combos and some with extras from less than $1000 to $3000+ range. Also finding a few "big Jons" 20 footers or so CC larger motors in the $9-$12K+ range (outside my budget). What I am not finding is anything much in what I am looking for.

I did miss out on a basically new 2011 1754 tracker (6 person) with matching galvanized trailer, trolling motor, fish finder and 15HP Merc 4 stoke....I quickly added up the cost at Bass pro and was defineately in the $8000 range....$5500 obo SOLD....motor was a bit small but I would of considered it.

Should I be changing what I am looking for or should I just wait for hopefully something to come along ?? Thanks.

y2k600f4 said:
Was looking at a basic 17-18' Jon

I'd imaging you'd have a hard time finding a 17 - 18' jon. Most who have one that size bought it for a reason and hang on to it. Might consider buying a new hull and keep an eye out for a decent used trailer and pick up items you want to add when you see them at a good price.

I did come across a 2005 2072 Tracker Grizzly CC with 90HP merc (not sure if 2 or 4 stroke) with ton of extras. $9K....little out of my budget. However if I add up the costs of a 17-18' Jon and trailer and find used motors and extras it will get close. New this rig sells for $20-21K w/o extras. I just found another posting....looks to be a 2001 2 stroke.

there seems to be quite a few listed on CL in our area of PA. usually they sell very quick!
we're in a prime area for jon boats, with the Susquehanna River to the west, and Delaware River to the east.
I've seen some decent deals on there for the 16' plus jons.
I myself bought a 1654 FB Tracker Grizzley, that was advertised on CL.

it's also not the best time of year to look for any particular boat.i got my g3 in december of 2010,and negotiated a great deal for a new boat.

bcbouy said:
it's also not the best time of year to look for any particular boat.i got my g3 in december of 2010,and negotiated a great deal for a new boat.

Yea...I agree. I was hoping to get into something this summer, but if I can't find a decent deal than I'll have to wait to the winter I guess. I am about to give up anyway; seems like the boats available no one wants to get back to you, guess they don't really want to sell. :(

Latest posts