Jon boat repair question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 12 ft sea nymph aluminum jon boat it leaks a little in the rear by where the guy I bought it from put new piece of treated wood for the trolly motor mount. Is there anything I can buy at bass pro or anywhere else that I can put around that area to seal it from leaking. Its not alot of water but enough that it needs to be fixed. Also could I put something around the screws to seal it there too. Thanks for the help.

First remove the treated wood. It's not good on an aluminum boat it will lead to corrosion and pitting of the aluminum.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
First remove the treated wood. It's not good on an aluminum boat it will lead to corrosion and pitting of the aluminum.

+1 and you likely want to clean it with a wire wheel too. Anything you add the 5200 too should be as clean as possible so it seals up nice.

If I take off the treated wood what do i replace it with to mount my trolly motor on to. Sorry for all the questions but its my first boat and I want to make sure its safe for me and my son to go out on when its time. Thanks again everyone.

beginnerfisherman81 said:
If I take off the treated wood what do i replace it with to mount my trolly motor on to. Sorry for all the questions but its my first boat and I want to make sure its safe for me and my son to go out on when its time. Thanks again everyone.

If the treated board is 1 1/2" thick use 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood (exterior grade) glued and screwed together with stainless steel screws.

Seal the piece of plywood with exterior grade Spar urethane, 4 or 5 coats.

Install the piece back using stainless steel bolts or screws and 3M 5200 marine sealant. around the screw/bolt holes.

Speaking of safety, wear your PFD (life jacket) at all times in that boat. 12' boats can be very unstable and tippy and I know you want to have many fishing trips with your son.

Latest posts