Loading boat on Tahoe roof

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straightaxle

Reaction score
I have a very old 12' Sears tin boat that I want to load on the roof of my 1999 Tahoe. I have a bad back so lifting it up is not a option for me, by myself. anybody have a easy way for my wife and I to load the boat??

No trailer because of where we fish. We have to launch the boat over the bank, there is not a ramp anywhere near where we fish. Yes that is a very obvious question. We bass/crappie/bluegill fish in the sloughs across the road from my house. I have a less than mile drive to where I can launch the boat, or 10 mile drive to ramp and 10 mile run to my fishing grounds.
I like the boat loader, what are there prices?? Cannot find on there site.

Actually a small trailer would still work for you. I had a 14ft boat with a small trailer, it worked just fine for launching from the bank. My trailer "bent" in the middle which made it even nicer to get the boat on it from any bank or just dragging up thru the grass and onto the trailer.

I think you will find those car top carriers kinda pricey.

Tim

You could also consider transom wheels to help maneuver. I had them on a 12 foot Alumacraft and they were a big help whether trailer of cartop.

earl60446 said:
Actually a small trailer would still work for you. I had a 14ft boat with a small trailer, it worked just fine for launching from the bank. My trailer "bent" in the middle which made it even nicer to get the boat on it from any bank or just dragging up thru the grass and onto the trailer.

I think you will find those car top carriers kinda pricey.

Tim
Tim, We have to launch over a dike bank of about 6' off a one lane gravel road with barely enough room to pull over. Believe me I'use a trailer if I could!
Lucky for us the boat is only about 48" wide and about 70lbs. Transom wheels will most likely be added.

Maybe some kind of a modified carrier for you reese hitch if you have one. You could set the transom on the carrier. run a strap or rope to the bow, then to the truck. No farther then you are going should be doable. Will try to load a pic. But something like this, maybe extend it out a bit. Strap the transome to it. Then run a rope around the bow and tie off on the rack on top the truck.

Lonny

Attachments

• reese-cargo-carrier.jpg
    reese-cargo-carrier.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 709
That is some good thinking. Thought about this
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Yakima/Y02589.html
but add some rollers to make it load and unload easier??

acabtp said:
https://boatloader.com/boatloader.html

obvious question: why is a trailer not being considered?

My grandfather had one of those in the mid 70s. As a little kid I thought it was the neatest thing in the entire world. I had never seen them again until your link. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

Even though you can't use the trailer to launch the boat, can't you just use it to carry the boat to your spot and then lift it off the trailer into the water?

You could use the trailer for going to other fishing spots and storing it at your house.

Latest posts