my new front deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkmp5s

Reaction score
I just wanted to post some pictures of my new front deck. It's exterior grade 3/4" plywood coated in 3 coats of epoxy resin then covered in hydro turf glued down with 3m 77 spray adhesive. The hatch is a tempress hatch I bought on clearance a couple of years ago anticipating this project.
I got the hydro turf sheets from their web site on clearance for $50 a sheet. I think it turned out great. :D I'ed be glad to answer any questions or offer any suggestions. I got most of my info from here and just want to help give back to this forum.

2012-06-24_12-43-48_155.jpg

2012-06-24_12-44-28_410.jpg

2012-06-24_12-47-31_511.jpg

LOL,...my front deck's about half that size. Now that's a casting deck,...nicely done. Do you worry at all about the weight the plywood brings? I only ask this because I've been fortunate enough to do any mods with aluminum,...mainly scrap that I've adapted to my projects,..never used plywood in a tinboat, but I know many have.

It's a 15' 6" boat and the big deck is nice. Plenty of room to throw a cast net or even gig flounder from. I have a 50 on the back and it still runs 30 with gear and 3 men in it. Mostly it's my "explore the marsh and keep the coolers for my jetski friends" boat since i've pretty much given up on fishing.

Thanks for the complement Hangeye. That Hydroturf is very forgiving and covers up my lack of carpentry skills. This is the first time a project turned out how I envisioned it. I couldn't be happier.

Given up on fishing? me too, kind of... I mostly set crab and crawfish traps, and castnet for shrimp and mullet these days. I fish for redfish and Seatrout once in awhile,..but the limit here in NW FL is so restrictive, that mullet or shellfish is the way to go around here

I think it looks great! How does the hydro turf feel compared to carpet? Is it very soft? Would it feel good on barefeet? I'm looking to get a new boat, but I can't decide on carpet or hyrdo turf. I mostly fish these days, but would like to take back up duck hunting when my son gets a few years older and I'm not a fan of carpet in a duck boat...but carpet feels good.

cstallings said:
I think it looks great! How does the hydro turf feel compared to carpet? Is it very soft? Would it feel good on barefeet? I'm looking to get a new boat, but I can't decide on carpet or hyrdo turf. I mostly fish these days, but would like to take back up duck hunting when my son gets a few years older and I'm not a fan of carpet in a duck boat...but carpet feels good.

I have yet to start my build, heck I don't even have my boat yet. But I'm definitely not using carpet!! I'm planning a 16' with small bow deck and open floor plan. I'll be fishing about 70% of the time and duck/goose hunting about 30%. I can only imagine what 2 or 3 hunting trips would do to the floor carpet in a boat. I'm planning on going with hydroturf on the aluminum deck and floor and something like grizzly grip on the aluminum sheet covered gunwalls. May even end up going with grizzly grip on the floor as well. If you've ever ridin a waverunner the stuff they have on the foot rests and back of the vessel is most likely hydroturf.

The Hydroturf feels soft but not weak. As an added benefit it quiets the inside of the boat if you drop something.
I saw duck hunters using it in their mudboats first so If it holds up to that it should last a good long while.
Another benefit is fish slime and scales washes off it easily. I've never seen sea deck but that stuff looks like its 3 times the price.
If im going to spend that much I'll go with safe floor. https://www.safe-floor.com/Marine.htm

Latest posts