Decided to paint the boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaRebel01

Reaction score
Decided to paint my boat, its gonna see a good bit of saltwater so i think its for the best. I already have a clean surface (bare aluminum with a good scrub and wash). I have some zinc chromate primer, i am very limited on the funds and cant afford any of the "aluminum prep" solvents, instead i was just going to do vinegar. Question is, do i apply the 50/50 vinegar/water mix and let it dry or do i apply it and wash it off before applying the zinc chromate?

Also, i plan on doing a simple flat brown/tan camo job for paint, will the "Rustoleum professional high performance enamel" in the rattle can stick well to the zinc chromate?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I would apply the vinegar mix, let it sit for a few minutes, wash off with clean water, towel dry it, then blow it off with compressed air. If you have tack cloth, that would be good too. Make sure its completely dry then spray on the primer - make sure to only do a thin coat of primer, you don't want it too thick.

The Rustoleum will stick fine to the primer. But remember that Rustoleum isn't necessarily designed to take a beating like automotive paint or some other fancy two part paint with hardener. It will work fine and look nice, but it will chip off if you scrape the boat on rocks or something.

Don't try to use your boat too soon after painting if you're not going to use paint with hardener in it.

Leave it upside down in the hot Fla. sun and let it bake for at least a week, 2 weeks would be better.

As an indicator that the bare metal is truly clean you need to have a water break-free surface. By that I mean that the rinse water will "sheet" on the metal leaving a continuous, unbroken film rather than break apart. If you have a water break-free surface, it's clean enough to paint.

https://www.finishing.com/191/24.shtml

Latest posts