New member! First boat project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogey49

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a few questions and some pictures to try and clarify my questions for yall. I have a 14' flat Ouachita I'm putting a johnson 9.9 on her and anyways back to the questions.
1. How can I deck my boat out and maximize my storage space but not give up my safety?
2. How and what do I need to do to get a good paint job on my boat wanting to go the od green any and all advice is welcome?
3. Can I take the riveted seats out of my boat and if I do will it mess up the boat?
4. If removing my seats will mess up my boat can I deck it out and hold it together with my decking supports?

Attachments

• IMG_20120626_184114.jpg
    IMG_20120626_184114.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20120626_183947.jpg
    IMG_20120626_183947.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20120626_183926.jpg
    IMG_20120626_183926.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 254
Bogey49 said:
Hey guys I got a few questions and some pictures to try and clarify my questions for yall. I have a 14' flat Ouachita I'm putting a johnson 9.9 on her and anyways back to the questions.
1. How can I deck my boat out and maximize my storage space but not give up my safety?
2. How and what do I need to do to get a good paint job on my boat wanting to go the od green any and all advice is welcome?
3. Can I take the riveted seats out of my boat and if I do will it mess up the boat?
4. If removing my seats will mess up my boat can I deck it out and hold it together with my decking supports?

:WELCOME: to Tinboats. Go dawgs! Roll Tide?

IMO.
1. Lower the deck the more stable. On boats that are 36" on the floor not much will make it stable unless you desire outriggers.. Storage under the deck.
2. I prefer to have boat sand blasted. Some fellas prefer Implement paint ( i.e. Farm or heavy equip ) paint to prevent chips. Lowes sells Topside marine paint by the quart. Its cheap. I'd try to avoid painting the gunnels as the dock always beats them up.
3. Depending on design, seats act as braces. If your gunnels flex now, they will do so much more if you remove the middle seat.
4. Decking can help minimize floor movement but not gunnels. (side rails). Also depending on your material it can slow your boat drastically. Ride around by your self then add a passenger. Decked, Floored, and with Passenger your 9.9 might have trouble getting on a plane.

Latest posts