Newbie needs advice on tin river jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducktrooper

Reaction score
Hello....I'm in the market to buy a 16-17' long hull that will be primarily used for fly fishing on shallow rivers but also for duck hunting at times. I want a hull design that is affordable($3-4K, stable to cast, shallow drafting(6-12"), and fairly light...like 300-325 lbs.

I don't plan to go mud motor but 25 hp 2 stroke instead. Also, I don't want to go wider than 48" floor. So far I've found that Alweld and Weldbilt to be about the only ones do customs in these sizes and weights. Should I consider a custom manufacturer and if so, who?

Also, how much does a modified V with rake of 6-8 degrees affect drafting? Is a truly smooth flat bottom the better way to go to avoid hanging up on shoals, submerged rocks, etc? Any thoughts appreciated.....John in Memphis

:WELCOME:

I'd recommend a 1648 mod-v boat. If the weight is balanced properly, you'll be amazed at how shallow they can run. Most of the guys around here running jet motors on the Susquehanna river (a very shallow and rocky river) use 1448s, 1648s, or 1652s. They work great.

Obviously for running rocky rivers an all welded boat is preferable, but they weigh about 500 pounds which is more than you are looking for.

If I were you, I would find an older inexpensive riveted 1648 for about 700 bucks ... find and fix any leaky rivets .... coat the bottom with steelflex .... and use the extra money to buy a nice jet motor. I bet you could beat the heck out of a boat like that for years before it needed any serious attention.

I'm not sure I would ever buy a new/expensive/custom hull for running rivers .... I'd be too upset when the dents start showing up ... and they will :lol:

A longer boat has less tendency to sit low at the rear due to the weight of the motor. I would go with a 1842 or 1844 flat bottom; I don't know if a 25hp can push a 1848.

Latest posts