Opinions on 1972 Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie12

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a brand new member to the board. I bought this boat when I was 16 and this spring I grinded the old hunter's green boat paint off (probably 20+ years) and I left the bottom just the aluminum and the top I painted blue. These are old pictures of my boat before I finished painting, but now after finding this awesome web site (I've wasted so much time at work looking at the projects you guys have done) I want to do more to the boat. Putting in a small deck in the front looks really attractive, and putting truck bed liner looks like that is a good idea for the long term as well. I'm already using it for fishing, so I think I might save up some money to work on this throughout the winter so it's ready for next season.

My main question is this: I have never seen seats in any other aluminum boat like mine, they have hardly anything to them, it is very very thin metal with styrafoam under them. I know the foam is for floating, but it seems like they are for support too, does anyone think it would be damaging to the support if I took out one of the seats (the second from the back) ? It would kind of be nice to have that area of the floor open since there is really only ever two people in the boat anyway. I wouldn't want a huge deck in front, just one to be able to mount a trolling motor, and I don't think stability would be an issue, because I get up and walk around in the boat the way it is now.

Thanks all, I'm sure these appear like really dumb questions to you veterans, but I've never done as much as grind down and paint a boat, I tried some searching and could not find answers about determining structural support from the seats.

Here are two older pictures from when I was working on it:
527445_3618633195378_612744904_n.jpg

552418_3618636595463_28530731_n.jpg

First of all :WELCOME: looks like you've got a nice boat to start with.

Can you stand on the benches now? If they seem a little flimsy maybe boxing in the benches and supporting them down to the floor will make them a bit more sturdy. I wouldn't remove any of the foam as it is in there for safety, and if you do remove it make sure you replace it.

As far as removing the middle bench it can be done but you have to make sure you brace the gunwale properly or the boat can twist and flex. Notice the benches are braced down from the gunwale! When you remove one of the benches you remove all that support. What a lot of guys do is frame in the sides of the boat connecting them to the bow and stern. You can use them for storage hatches, live well, or even a rod locker. With them attached to the floor you can then attach the gunwale bracing and you won't have lost any support and at the same time you've opened up a nice flat area in the floor.

Good luck with your build, and again welcome to the board!!

I see you are using a grinding cut off wheel that isn't a good ides as it gouges the aluminum try only using a wire rope wheel they are about $15 but will do 2-3 bottoms. And they wont cut into the boat. You will have a nice smooth surface to paint with no cut marks. I do about 3-6 antique aluminum boats a year professionally but only for fun. You will do good to keep the seat but all utility boats are designed to hold shape with no seat support. that is done for consumer via USCG. Most hull designs are just that. Looks like ya have a tuff ole gal there ....Now whatcha gona name her? :mrgreen:

Attachments

• sport and blue.jpg
    sport and blue.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 975
OH and it looks like an old Sea Nymph around the mid to late 50's those seats are pretty tough. I did one last year you can see her on CoconutFun.com I put a 1959 Johnson 5.5 on her the lawyer that got her loves it as his girls use it all the time. Too much fun and not enough beer.

Thanks for the advice guys, I already used the grinder and it is all done, these are old pictures of when I was taking paint off...that kind of scares me, but I think it is ok.

I think I'm probably just better off leaving the seat in, I have stood on the one that I wanted to remove...that will be a good test next time I'm out on the water.

I have pretty much the same boat. Check my mod out and im sure you'll find lots of ideas. Ask me any questions about it you want

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Might use it quite a bit before embarking on the grand adventure (and expense and labor) of making a bunch of changes.

This forum is a collection of excellent fabricators, and create marvelous works of boat.

But...that boat has existed a bunch of years in its current format.

Use it and see what limitations you find for your person use, THEN consider mods.

A lot can be done, but be neat to see for yourself what you see needs to be done.

Best wishes. Be safe.

Edit: My 1959 Alumacraft "minimalist" work. Not in the same league as others, but works fine.:)
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386

:)

Latest posts