Question about this stuff

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
One of my customers brought me a piece of expanded PVC board. I called the people that sell this stuff and they tell me that it is 100% waterproof board. The guy told me that water cannot penetrate it and you can paint it. The price for a 4x8 sheet is 89 bucks. It looks like starboard but it is not a polymer. It actually looks like it is foam filled kinda. My customer says he uses it in all of his boats. I am considering using this for my decks....it is surprisingly light. Has anyone used this product in a deck application. Since I am having a hard time finding sheet aluminum without freight involved I have begun looking for alternatives for my decks. My other choice is a product called Nylacore, which you have to use fiberglass mat and resin, but it is spendy and lots of work. Once it is installed it it bullet proof and very lightweight. Keep in mind I am not going for a super light boat....I just want to have rot proof decks for a saltwater environment. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PVC board.JPG
    PVC board.JPG
    611.4 KB · Views: 780
It should work just fine..... My need some support on the under side... or maybe not
Jim

I haven't used it in my boat, but I have used it for other projects before. You can work it with all your woodworking tools as if it were wood without any problem. I've never painted it, so let us know how that works out. Since it doesn't absorb moisture....I don't know how well paint will stick. Take pictures and let us know how it works.

Looks like you can get it in colors.

https://acmeplastics.thomasnet.com/viewitems/all-categories/expanded-pvc-foam-sheet-2

Shame the colors are only available in 3mm/6mm. Looks neat - not that much more weight than ply - if the surface has some texture it could be a winner. I bet it would get slick fast if it was smooth though...

The surface does have a slight texture, I am not opposed to the white, but it sure would be bright on a hot sunny day. I am sure that there are paints that will stick to it.....The guy just told me that I could get a piece 60" wide by 10' long for 129 bucks.

White would be the coolest color to the touch in the hot sun.

Somebody has to be the Guinea Pig, might as well be you! :LOL2:

Let us know how it works if you use it.

Just a cautionary note...the guy may have told you it was "100% waterproof," but the website says "very low water absorption."
Might want to test that out before buying a ton of it...

I will take the piece that I have and sink it to the bottom of a pool for a couple of days, we will see if it soak up some water or not.....The price seems ok to me....I think I will open up a wholesale account and see if I can get a better price.

Another issue I can see or would want to know is it UV resistant?

Were you planning on covering it with carpet or something? Would the carpet glue stick to it?

Does sound interesting, give it a try and let us all know how well it works.

This material PVC is made for SIGN BOARD one of my companies TentDoctorInc use it every day. I use some of our scraps for backing electrical panels on boats as well as spacers for things. It will do fine on boats but some glues and chemicals will dissolve it. Test a piece before using this stuff. In order to get the structural strength from this it will have to be much thicker than the plywood you normally used or you will need to fabricate an under frame for support. When wet you will bust your butt if stepped on " I KNOW " If this gets scars in it it will brake there so be ware " Not made for standing on "
We buy this in 4x8 or bigger sheets you can cut this with a utility knife It does come in several colors. Yes it is UV resistant good stuff and fun to play with. You would be better off with 1/4" fiberglass sheets or layup some matting on thinner treated plywood.

I am going to have to think about this one but here is the link to the mfg. Thanks for the feedback guys.
https://www.vycomplastics.com/files/spec/celtec_expandedpvc.pdf

bigwave, you may be overthinking this one a little. Get some 1/2" ply coat it with paint/spar/whatever and roll. Should last you quite awhile if you aren't planning on storing it outside.

Ictalurus said:
bigwave, you may be overthinking this one a little. Get some 1/2" ply coat it with paint/spar/whatever and roll. Should last you quite awhile if you aren't planning on storing it outside.
You know I think your right, I have been held up finishing my boat because of my decks. After thinking about it I agree with the above poster about possible breakage due to a cut in the skin of this stuff. I have decided to just use plywood and get this thing done....I will be keeping my eyes open for a deal on sheet aluminum....that is what I really want but I just cant see putting that much money into the decks.....I am sure you guys are ready for me to finish this thing. I plan on working on her all weekend. I do plan on storing this boat outside.....but I am sure I will get a few years out of the wood decks.

Just seal your plywood real good with epoxy resin or exterior grade Spar urethane and it'll last longer than you think. Use 3 or 4 good coats of the sealer and you'll be good to go.

The resin is the way I will do to the wood, just like I did my transom....I have 5 gallons of resin.....time to get working on this thing again.....fishing is passing me by. #-o

Latest posts