Best Boat for a Bay?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltGuy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the site but I must say there is a ton of good information and Ive learned alot already. Im currently in the market for my first boat. Im new to tin boats but not to boating in general, my father has a 26ft Cuddy Cabin and my fiances father has a similar boat. However I would like to become a new boat owner myself and have always been interested in Aluminum boats.

My first question would be what size boat would be good for my intended use. I plan to use it in the creeks and rivers that run off the Chesapeke bay in Maryland (If anyone knows the area it would be like Stoney Creek, Rock Creek, Magothy River, Severn River, etc), but also take it out in the bay on good days. I would lke one that I can fit 2 to maybe 3 people in it for Fishing and Crabbing. I assume probably a 16 footer would be ideal (which are fairly easy to find around here) and mabe an 18 but havent seen any of those up for sale in a long time. I also think that maybe one with higher sides and a greater width because it can get choppy at times

Also any specific brands that are recomended, so far Ive been looking at Lowe's, Alumicraft, Polar Kraft, and Tracker so far, but any other brands or names that anyone would recomend would be most helpful

Thanks Everyone

Hey Saltguy,
Welcome to TinBoats! The 18 footers are rare because most people that have them - hang on to them. A 16 would likely do what you're looking for. If the rivers are rockey - you may want to go with welded versus riveted. Good luck with your search!

You need a 15-16' Deep V with at least a 30hp on the back. Pref 48" or more on the floor. Flat bottoms will beat you to death in the chop and something with low gunnels will soak you. Anything Under 30hp and it won't be enough to get 3x people on a plane. Tracker has a Guide 14', It's a deep V. Think I saw one at BPro for around $1700? Of course thats not with Motor/Trailer.

Going from a 1552 Deep V to a 1436 Flat I can only go out in the bay 1/4 time now because conditions are too rough for the new boat.

I would go with a 16+' deep -v as mentioned - Bays can kick up quick and some other boaters don't use common sense and can swamp you. As far as power goes get the biggest motor you can afford and the boat can handle.

Good luck and :WELCOME:

Thanks for the replies Guys!

So right now I thinking Im looking at 16 ft Deep V with at least a 30hp... I've been stalking Craigslist like a mad man latley :LOL2: Ive seen some for sale but not with the 30 horses. As Id prefer if I could to get the boat, motor and trailer together if I can find a good deal, but Im open to purchasing seperatley as well

I'd prefer a used one over a new one, but I'll def check out those Trackers, I have Bpro about 20 mins from my house...

Anyone have any other sugestion for makes that fit what Im looking for so I can keep an eye out?

Deep V all the way for rough inland waters and bay's......You can have the best of both worlds with a Deep v, they still draft shallow and will take chop very well. Be patient and the boat will come to you....check out fish4fools mod......the sky is the limit.

I have an xpress 1450 flatbottom. It belonged to my dad before he got a new boat. We have owned this boat since 02 and have taken it out in the bays many many times. It can get a bit wet sometimes. You have to be smart and watch the weather closely but it does fine with two people. 3 is doable but can get a bit crowded.

I have a 15 foot Gregor Baja Special and 30 HP Evinrude. Gregors are welded. This rig has taken us MANY miles in the open sea marlin fishing and what ever else. Needless to say it's been in some big seas and with just a little common scince it can operate safely in tough conditions.

Try to check a Gregor.

Regards, Keith

I dont have any bays near me...(arkansas) but I would definetly go with a deep v and the most ponys you could put on the back of that thing.

No matter what you get, make sure you have the biggest bilge pump you can find, and have a backup bailer. I run a 1200 gph. No matter how water tight the boat is, you will have water in the boat. Safety first.

Latest posts