Gas Tanks....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompatt

Reaction score
i have a 6 Gallon metal gas tank. But should i just go out and buy a 3 gallon plastic one? what do yall have? and wat else would i need to hook up everything?

Attachments

• P3190129.JPG
    P3190129.JPG
    692.1 KB · Views: 696
Well, I don't need a gas tank for my rig, but I'd probably keep what you have if it's in good shape and not rusting out. If it is I'd go for a new plastic one. Walmart or a marine store will have what you need in a kit (hose, bulb, etc) more than likely.

get rid of it unless you have a real good fuel filter. It may not look like it but old tanks like that almost are always dropping small specks of rust into your gas. I learned this when i cleaned my carb and found lots of rust sludge at the bottom of my float. Plastic is cheap and effective.

santander said:
get rid of it unless you have a real good fuel filter.
You don't. The fuel filter on these motors won't block real small stuff. A bit of rust and crud will gum up your carb real quick. That is not a practical on the water fix. A three gallon tank will take you longer than you ever need to go. Also, to get going, you need a Johnson/Evinrude brass tank end. This screws into the socket on the tank - put a bit of teflon on the threads. Also, go ahead and get a new fuel line, with Johnson/Evinrude ends, and store it inside. May as well get the motor end as well.

I used to have two tanks like that...didn't realize it but they sometimes leak at the bottom seam...I got rid of them both and went with the 3 gal red plastic one....I like the plastic it's easier on the ears putting it in and out of the boat...and I like filling it up...you can see where the gas is...and don't have to guess...

JON

SnowmanJon said:
I used to have two tanks like that...didn't realize it but they sometimes leak at the bottom seam...I got rid of them both and went with the 3 gal red plastic one....I like the plastic it's easier on the ears putting it in and out of the boat...and I like filling it up...you can see where the gas is...and don't have to guess...

JON

:WELCOME:
Thanks for joining!