Sixes new Setup: 1448 Alumacraft w/ 15 4strk Merc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
Why : Well as some of you might have read the issues I was having with my new boat (1436 Alumacraft ). It wasn't anything detrimental though it was something that could have gone without fail or repair. None the less I gave Alumacraft the opportunity to make it right via a dealer that was an hour plus away. They sent the repair part damaged from the factory, failed to return calls, same with the dealer. Neither party was anxious to resolve the problem but were willing to make it right one day down the road. If this were a high dollar boat I'd be raising their roof, but it was not..

New Deal: For the past couple months there was a 1448 I've been calling about though he would never sell. He saw my current rig and expressed some interest so we swapped hulls and he will sand blast and coat my trailer in exchange for the difference of value. He is aware of the issue but since he uses a trolling motor it will never occur for him as it only did it when under WOT around 25+ mph.

Boat: It is an early 90's 1448 with slight semi V upfront. The wood transom is solid in the middle but will need to be replaced sometime this season. He had blasted it and painted the hull which turned out semi decent. I'm sending in my order for numbers and replacement decals after I write this post and hope to have them tomorrow.

Pics in the morning!

I Finally own a 1448.

:shock: Ok this is June 29th 2012 can we get count on how many boats you have owned just this year. You have gotta be pushing some type of record.

You say your married :-k either she is a awesome women or you are very sneaky or spend alot of time camping in your yard :LOL2:

Just poking some fun :) post some pictures of your new rig

Congrats on the boat... again... and again... and again... :) Sorry to hear about the customer service too.

fool4fish1226 said:
:shock: Ok this is June 29th 2012 can we get count on how many boats you have owned just this year. You have gotta be pushing some type of record.
You say your married :-k either she is a awesome women or you are very sneaky or spend alot of time camping in your yard :LOL2:

@ Fool I'll get a number up here shortly. In reference to the ol' lady, I just bought her a fancy washer/Dryer and a couch. She is so high right now it would take 2-3 builds to bring here back down. I do need to buy a tent because those days are getting closer each year.

@ Verm Thanks, Their CS is a lot better than my cell phone company. At least there was an attempt which is better than none at all.

Attachments

• d7.jpg
    d7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,223
  • d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,223
  • d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,223
  • d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 1,223
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
  • d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 1,223
As for the boats owned this year..

Nov - Jan - J16' Carolina Skiff w/ OMC 50hp
Feb - 1436 Sears w/ 6hp
Feb - 1032 G3 w/ 5hp Yam
Mar - June 1552 DVCC Feathercraft w/ 20hp Yam
May - 13' V Hull
May - 1436 w/ 18hp OMC
June - 1436 w/ 15hp Merc
June - 1448 w/ 15hp Merc (Pic top of post)

Attachments

• cc8.JPG
    cc8.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cc7.jpg
    cc7.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cc6.jpg
    cc6.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cc5.jpg
    cc5.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cc4.JPG
    cc4.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cc3.jpg
    cc3.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cc2.jpg
    cc2.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cc1.JPG
    cc1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 1,215
MOE said:
Good deal =D>

Could you explain the cool with the light on top?

My last boat I was hesitant to mod the hull just yet because there was a chance it would be traded out. Since I need a light for night fishing, ( There are a lot of channel markers in around here, i.e. telephone poles stuck randomly through out the water) and some place to put my rods but I didn't want to drill. Looking at the cooler it was high enough to get the light over the bow, large enough to bolt a rod holder, and enough storage for tackle, battery, and a small ice box. Also screwed a piece of angle so I could attach a removable bow light too. When I'm done with it I'll caulk the holes up and use it just for ice.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 1,207
Good looking boat! Have you ever considered applying for a Guinness World Record for number of boat projects. :LOL2:

Thanks for the tour.

:)

Er...uh...what exactly are you looking for in a boat?

Several, maybe most, of the ones you've had (or have) seem just right to my uneducated eyes. I presume you are seeking the Grail?

Enjoying this, in a vicarious way.

:D

gillhunter said:
Good looking boat! Have you ever considered applying for a Guinness World Record for number of boat projects. :LOL2:

Last year was much worse.. :oops:

Kismet said:
Thanks for the tour.

:)

Er...uh...what exactly are you looking for in a boat?

Several, maybe most, of the ones you've had (or have) seem just right to my uneducated eyes. I presume you are seeking the Grail?

Enjoying this, in a vicarious way.

:D

Lol.. It's tough. I'm trying to balance the toy budget with life's necessities. In Dec 10' I bought my first boat ever for $100. Last month I sold a boat for $3500. Buying and selling them has allowed me to increase my boat budget by making a couple hundred here and there without having to come out of pocket. I came close w/ 1552 CC Vhull but the new house needed furniture and appliances.

The holy grail: 18'60", all weld, V-bow, forward aluminum deck, center console, with E-tec on the back. Until then I'll just have to settle for what I can afford.

Attachments

• 1860VProCC.jpg
    1860VProCC.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,190
OK, got it now.

I thought you shared my problem which seems to be...I get more satisfaction out of rescuing an old tin than I do using it(them) on the little lake (400ac) and small river around here.

Love some of the toys you've had. That 10 ft with pods looks like it was built to fit some of the other posters on the forum's desires.

The console boats posted seem like they'd be ideal for some moderate large water fishing.

Really enjoying your journey.

Thanks again.

Kismet said:
OK, got it now.

I thought you shared my problem which seems to be...I get more satisfaction out of rescuing an old tin than I do using it(them) on the little lake (400ac) and small river around here.

Love some of the toys you've had. That 10 ft with pods looks like it was built to fit some of the other posters on the forum's desires.

The console boats posted seem like they'd be ideal for some moderate large water fishing.

Really enjoying your journey.

Thanks again.

I did get a great deal of satisfaction working with them until I spent so much time doing it my warm meals and clean underwear became in jeopardy. Now I plan carefully and only invest time into boats I truly love.

Here is my first year of boat ownership. Dec 2010 - Dec 2011. Pic may be prior to restore. It's an ugly bunch. In total from first to current, 21 boats in 19 months. :mrgreen:

Dec-Mar 1436 w/ 3hp Game Fisher (Restored) ( Actually bought back year later, lol )
Feb 15' Glastron GT no motor
Mar 13.5 Stautor Cedar Point Special
Apr - May 1240 Sears CC 5hp Merc (Custom / Restore)
Apr 1236 Sears (Restore)
June 1536 Fisher Marine (Restore)
Aug 1636 Sears 25hp OMC (Restore)
Sep 10' KL Industries w/ 6hp
Sep 13' Gheenoe w/ 6hp
Sep 13.5' Stautor Cedar Point Spl
Sep 13' Fiberglass Skiff
Sep - Nov 1436 SeaArk w/ 15hp
Nov - Jan CSkiff J16 50hp

Attachments

• dd13.jpg
    dd13.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd10.jpg
    dd10.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd9.JPG
    dd9.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd8.JPG
    dd8.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd7.jpg
    dd7.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd6.jpg
    dd6.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd5.jpg
    dd5.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd4.jpg
    dd4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd3.jpg
    dd3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd2.jpg
    dd2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd122.jpg
    dd122.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd11.jpg
    dd11.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,168
  • dd1.JPG
    dd1.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,168
Man Six, while I'd ask you if you think you need to see someone about this issue, I can't help but wish I had the sickness too.

If it were me, I'd have full stopped on the Carolina Skiff for a good while. My favorite, though, was the 12' CC with the 5hp Merc you did. Don't know why, it just looks right to me (and that's probably wrong).

:lol:

So let me see if I'm understanding the cooler - mostly because I think it's one of the coolest ideas yet -

It doubles as dry storage for the battery/a few plano cases/etc AND has wet storage? A cooler in a cooler? Like inception type stuff?

And secondly, what make is that light? I've been bitten hard by the night fishing bug and after putting back to the launch in the dark a forward mount light would have been awesome (not to mention probably safer).

=D>

wihil said:
Man Six, while I'd ask you if you think you need to see someone about this issue, I can't help but wish I had the sickness too.

If it were me, I'd have full stopped on the Carolina Skiff for a good while. My favorite, though, was the 12' CC with the 5hp Merc you did. Don't know why, it just looks right to me (and that's probably wrong).

:lol:

So let me see if I'm understanding the cooler - mostly because I think it's one of the coolest ideas yet -

It doubles as dry storage for the battery/a few plano cases/etc AND has wet storage? A cooler in a cooler? Like inception type stuff?

And secondly, what make is that light? I've been bitten hard by the night fishing bug and after putting back to the launch in the dark a forward mount light would have been awesome (not to mention probably safer).

=D>

The Cskiff was sweet but the motor would never idle right. Spent couple hundred dollars on it and still would have the problem. It kinda killed it for me.. The 12v CC was an awesome little boat but it lacked enough torque for two people and standing up two at a time was a task.

The Cooler is all the above. No wet storage though. I've got a small styrafoam bait cooler that fits inside and leaves plenty of room. The light is an off brand china light that you cannot find online. Fella down here has a stock room full of them for $50!. I'm on my third. Usually a similar light will cost about $100 at the least. Helps out tremendously when fishing out here at night with all the obstacles in the water ways. It can be very dangerous when out at night in a new area with out one aboard.

The Fella I got the boat from did a backwards registration on it by labeling it older to avoid HIN#. Ran the HIN# and found the original owner who is signing my Bill of sale and copy of last registration I received from Marine police. Hope to have the paper work straightened in a weeks time. It is a 1981 Alumacraft 1448.

I'll pick up the new decals for the boat today. Different Reg#, The Original. And new Manufacturer decals too. Since I had such a hard time w/ Alumacraft last time I decided to create something a bit different. Pics to come shortly. Reg decals, and then (Pic Spartan Helmet) the reads " Molon Labe Marine" in 4"inch , then in 2" afterwards, "1448".

I did order some seating for the boat today..

2x WD588 Wise White High back deluxe seats.
1x Swivel Eze 11" Pedestal
2x Swivel Eze Seat spring mounts
3x Swivel Eze Base mounts.
Total: $200 shipped.

Setup: Base mount for the two bench seats and one for the deck. Use the seat mounts on both seats. Then the 11" pedestal for the deck. It's great being up to stand on the OEM deck. Will do some Flounder lights shortly too.. Need to check on the season . i.e. Run.

Attachments

• seats.JPG
    seats.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 1448.jpg
    1448.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 1,064
On the way to the Perdido pass tonight I noticed the transom was flexing too much. I had known it needed to be replaced but I was hoping it would hang on just a bit longer.. Brought the boat back and proceeded to remove the rot. I'll will try to get it back on the water by the end of this weekend. Also got the decals on too..

Got some help and had to carry the boat out of the water since the trailer is at the sand blaster getting blasted and coated. Will have to get lights and bunks when it returns. Lot's to do and no time to do it in... Pics of the trailer shortly.

Attachments

• decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 1,035
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 1,035
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 1,035
Sixgun,

I'm not an ex-Marine, but I love that sticker you put on. Looks great against that burnt orange (?) color. My Dad is a WWII Marine (Pearl Harbor to the occupation of Japan) and he loved it too. Where did you get the seating equipment? Seems like a pretty good price and I like the look of those seats.

DaveInGA said:
Sixgun,

I'm not an ex-Marine, but I love that sticker you put on. Looks great against that burnt orange (?) color. My Dad is a WWII Marine (Pearl Harbor to the occupation of Japan) and he loved it too. Where did you get the seating equipment? Seems like a pretty good price and I like the look of those seats.

I was having trouble deciding what to put on the side of the boat, seems fitting :mrgreen:

The seats/mounts came from Grizzly Jig Fishing Co. They are a seller on ebay and have an online store as well. Called him up and told him what I wanted and he passed some of the savings on to me instead of buying through ebay/paypal as they can charge up to 12% of the sale. Nice guy, can't wait till they get here. They had the best price on Wise seating online that I could find during my 30min price search.

https://www.grizzlyjig.com/html/products.html

Alumacraft was kind enough to scan the catalog for that year and provide me with the specs.

Before the boat had several holes drilled in the seats and else where to act as rod holders. They were uneven and ugly. Walked the hardware store for 20min's trying to figure out how I was going to cover them up with out spending $$. Came up with these SS outlet covers. Looks a lot better.

Seats arrived same week and I got started on the transom. Had to apply 5200 on part of the metal as there were a few pin holes. Sandwiched two pieces of 4 ply, broke out the belt sander, and applied several coats of spar urethane. Got SS hardware and a fresh tube of 5200. Will be installing it hopefully today. Seats shortly there after.

Still waiting on the trailer..

Also, when I bought the boat the registration was bogus. Said it was a 62 with no HIN#. Well it's obviously not and there is a HIN#. Unfortunate for me I never saw the paper work until after a couple days after we did the sale.. Called Marine police and had them email me the last copy of registration. I was able to reach the last owner by telephone who lives 3 hours north from me. Mailed him a copy of reg for him to sign along with a bill of sale I wrote out. Included a return stamped envelope and it arrived signed properly today. Paperwork will be 100%. =D>

Attachments

• spar.jpg
    spar.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 292
  • brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
  • cutting.jpg
    cutting.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 292
  • 5200.jpg
    5200.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 292
  • seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
  • rodh.jpg
    rodh.jpg
    858.7 KB · Views: 292
  • alumm.JPG
    alumm.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 291
Todays work. Short some hardware, cant finish till tommorow.

Attachments

• 2012-07-09 19.26.41.jpg
    2012-07-09 19.26.41.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 2012-07-09 19.28.47.jpg
    2012-07-09 19.28.47.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283

Latest posts