What kind of paint for on the outside of a boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie Bait

Reaction score
I'm redoing a 14' Smokercraft and I have just put on 2 coats of spray can, white, Rustoleum Gloss enamel on the outside of this tinny. So far, so good, except that the white paint seems to have glossy areas and not so glossy areas. I would take pictures but it doesn't quite show up well enough. The paint is dry, but it almost looks more like primer. Or a better of way of putting it, is when you look at the boat at an angle, it looks like condensation in certain areas, but it's dry (hard to explain). I put the paint on evenly and kept the nozzele far enough away, :?

Should I try a different paint? Needs to be white. I'm on a budget and I prefer the spray cans so it doesn't run. Any suggestions, Valspar, different brands, tractor enamels in a can? etc...

Thanks.

sounds like an application issue to me. i'd wetsand the problem areas, feathering it out and try again. make sure it is not drying before it has a chance to level (don't paint in direct sunlight, etc.)

as for kinds of paint, i used rustoleum topside with enamel hardener in it, but i HVLP sprayed... your mileage may vary with spray cans. make sure you keep shaking from time to time as you use the can.

Yeah, I just got done doing the inside of the boat with Rustoleum Top side (Battleship Grey) paint and Valspar Enamel Hardner and it turned out great.

Yes, sprayed the outside in direct sunlight, and I wasn't shaking the can regularly. Try again tommorrow, I'm thinking of just spraying over the top with Clear gloss spray paint. Thoughts?

Its overspray! When using a spray can you got to spray in lines, working away from the area you just sprayed, very very hard not to get overspray on a area that large.With a spray can.

I just finished repainting my 16' Starcraft with white semi gloss Rustoleum.
I brushed it on during a day with low humidity and it turned out great.
No runs, and the brush marks had enough time to flow into each other.

I primed my boat with Interlux underwater primer then used Rustoleum gray for the interior and Interlux topside marine paint for the outside of the hull thinking that the boat will sit on a trailer when not in use. So far so good. I used a micro roller to apply paint to the boat and the trailer. I've seen some amazing results with people who used the micro roller and a lot of sanding on cars, but of course my boat is a fishing machine so looks aren't that important to me, just protection.

Latest posts