12' flat jon or a 14' flat jon???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trueblue1970

Reaction score
I currently own a 12' sears flat jon that has a 43' beam. I have a chance to buy a 14' sears flat jon and the beam is only 46'. Other than the 2' diff. in length, is there any other major diff. between the 2 boats? Does that extra 3" make a big difference? The 14' also has side supports while the 12' does not. Confused as to what I should do...just keep the 12' and be happy. I only use the boat on non powered fresh water lakes.

thanks!

I was also thinking the 14 is rated for more weight and that extra 2' in length would be nice for supplies. 14' gamefisher and nice trailer for $350. Person just wants in gone.

The 14 is a much bigger boat in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, those ways also make it harder for a trolling motor to push. So, while you will much more space, stability, and probably resale value, you won't be moving along nearly as fast as you have been. It will be noticeable.

That said, the 14 will give you access to larger bodies of water, and a lot more versitility...and for that price, you are really just putting your money in "tin storage," because you will always get that for it, and maybe, a bit more.

Best wishes.

BigTerp said:
I would kill to find a 1446, would do a few other undesirable things for a 1442. All I can find around here for sale is 1436 and smaller.
the OP didn't find a 1446, he found a 14' with a 46" beam... it probably is a 1436. might even be a 1432, since sears made a bunch of those, and my 1432 sears has about a 46" beam.

a 36# trolling motor will push a 14' jon boat no problem... so your 55# would be plenty. it will be bigger and more stable than your 12'. i would buy it.

1st id like to say thanks for all the feedback.

I took the 12' out today with the 55lb thrust and it was great. Speed 5 was more than we needed. We pushed through a breeze on speed 3.

As for the 14', the beam is 46. Im still up in the air because the 12 is perfect navigating through the canals that branch off of the lake. Although im not so sure at 14 would give me a problem, just thinking the 12 is perfect as some sections are narrower than others. THis is a tough call...and I am not permitted to keep boats in my driveway for more that 3 days in a row. So buying the 14 before I sell the 12 is not an option. ( I am tempted to take a chance lol)

trueblue1970 said:
FYI it is a Gamefisher. And the owner is willing to take my 12' and trailer plus $100, for his 14' and trailer.
assuming the boats and trailers are in comparable condition, that sounds like a great deal to me

Id love to keep both :)

Well, it worked out. I put my boat on craigslist and it sold quick. I pick up the 14' in the AM. Thanks for all the opinions, I really appreciate it.

trueblue1970 said:
Id love to keep both :)

Well, it worked out. I put my boat on craigslist and it sold quick. I pick up the 14' in the AM. Thanks for all the opinions, I really appreciate it.

Ok, then.

Good.

Latest posts