Pics of your splash wells / rear storage area

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wihil

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm at a standstill.

I've got the front deck made and carpeted, seat in and love it so far. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the rear.

The battery's up front, so the only thing in the rear is the gas tank. I'd like to make use of some of the extra space, but due to the design of the rear of the boat it's just not as easy as I though it'd be. The uprights to the transom chew up a ton of space - I can barely get a milk crate behind the rear bench, and a 5gal bucket's almost too tall to clear the corner braces.

I thought about decking it, but if I'm on a deck it'll be the front deck - the rear gets pretty low in the water.

So - help me figure out how I can make use of this space.
:mrgreen:

On mine, one side is the gas tank with half the deck on hinges folding from port to starboard like a hood to access gas tank and drain plug. The other side is decked with a 8" screwtype deckplate. Underneath are 2 small recycling boxes, side by side. They are 9" tall, rectangle is 12" x 8". In one goes my dock ropes, in the other my 3 fenders. When on the water, they serve as extra storage.

IMG_00000205.jpg
IMG_00000206.jpg
IMG_00000207.jpg

No pictures, but I use the space under the splash well to keep electronics dry. I have a bus bar for the charging circuit that doubles as a connection for the rear trolling motor. I also have a toggle switch for the front and rear navigation lights under the splash well. There is also enough space for a small plastic container holding the small essential things as well as a manual bilge pump, rope step ladder and a large metal stake for beaching the boat. I have my battery in a battery box just behind the middle bench seat.

Sounds like a place to put some sort of rubbermaid tote to hold light stuff.

Got a pic of it?

I have but a 12-footer, but found that using the space behind the aft bench really helps clean up the clutter.
I covered the area with ply and added two hatches. The one to port contains a 3 gal. gas tank and the one to starboard holds misc. items, including the aft anchor/rope, tool kit, first aid kit and fenders. It is large enough to hold Rubbermaid waterproof boxes, a small milk crate, etc.

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

bcbouy said:
plenty of room for gas tank,anckors,bailing/pee bucket,ropes,gas mix etc.
that looks great! i am going to steal your design, hope you don't mind. i see you used the same method i did (tape/marker) to keep track of where the stringers were under the floor as well. good stuff!

=D> =D> Thanks for all the pics, guys - I'm really liking all the solutions I'm seeing. Definitely going to put some of these things to work, just not real sure where to start. I spend an hour last night with a tape measure and some cardboard mocking up things.

Keep the pics and ideas coming, gang!

:mrgreen:

Has changed since pic was taken. No more battery or gas tank. Now I have a small cooler and life jackets

Attachments

• 2011-06-04 21.31.01.jpg
    2011-06-04 21.31.01.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 625

Latest posts