My first tin boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrener

Reaction score
Hi Gang, I'm new to the site (sort of). I came on this site when I first started looking for a tin boat and began looking at all the great advice. I finally found a deal and bought my first tin boat last month. It is an Alumacraft 1442 w/livewell. The guy I bought it from had taken really good care of the boat and rigged it nicely with a 9.9 Nissan, trolling motor, and two depth finders. The depth finders are pretty basic so I plan to upgrade those, but everything works great. I got the boat, motors, trailer, battery, etc for $750 so I have some room to do what I want with it without breaking the bank. My first plan is to strip out the old decking and reconfigure. That front deck sits on the top rail of the boat (scary) and is a little small for my taste. I plan to lower it and make it a couple feet longer. I will post pics as I update it, but I have put up two as it sits right now.

Attachments

• side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 630
  • Rear.jpeg
    Rear.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 630
Thanks. I don't know if my plan is fully developed yet, but I know I want the casing deck below the top rail and I want it a little bigger. Probably will not go all the way to the middle bench though. So far I have been fishing in it at least once per week (multiple times per day during a week long vacation), so I am trying to just fish it and find out what I like/don't like. I figure that is the best route to go.

Congrats on the new boat! You got a great deal.

I laugh when I read about guys spending $4,500 on new boats that aren't any better than what you got for $750.

What a nice deal you got on your tin.

I don' t blame you the front deck is scary doesn't look like it to big and stuff can roll or get kicked off. I think your on the right track extending it and lowering it.

Keep us informed of your project with pictures, we all like pictures. :)

Congrats =D> , on a steal of a deal. You're so right about that frt. deck, being scary and small. Carry on and get pics so we can see how You do things, cause who knows what it might help somebody else with.

I have a "deck" that size on my eldocraft, but it's only purpose is to mount the bow trolling motor and to make it easier to step into the boat from the bank. Someone would be nuts to want to sit up on that little platform :LOL2:

Thanks for all the comments guys. I haven't gotten started yet on an mods because it is topwater frenzy time for the local largemouths on Lake Guntersville. I hope to get some time this weekend to start taking things apart.

You are all so right about lack of room and things getting kicked off. It is like a highwire act sitting up there. I will post pics as I get a chance. One thing I am proud of so far is that the boat has been out about 13-15 times and we have put fish in the boat every single trip. Kids love it. Here are a couple pics of our trips.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 17, 12 22 30 PM.jpeg
    Photo Jun 17, 12 22 30 PM.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 370
  • Photo Jun 17, 12 22 33 PM.jpeg
    Photo Jun 17, 12 22 33 PM.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 370
  • First trip.jpeg
    First trip.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 370
  • another largemouth.jpeg
    another largemouth.jpeg
    911.4 KB · Views: 370
I'm usually a pretty sympathetic guy,

but I'm hard pressed to be compassionate about your lack of time to modify the boat, when the reason is you are too busy catching fish with the family.

:?

:wink:

Latest posts