Help choosing trolling motor and mouning for SeaArk 1548

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y2k600f4

Reaction score
Finishing up the little repairs on my newly aquired SeaArk 1548 e.g. added trailer spare tire, new decking, added 2 tracker bass boat pedestal seats etc

Want to get into bass fishing and currently have a F25 yamaha 4 stroke and was considering getting a transom mounted Motorguide Varimax V40 36" (40 lbs of thrust) I like the fact that it has the digital variable control (longer battery life); the best price with shipping I have found is $160...seems like they are running on average $250.

My quesion is; is this a good choice for this boat ? I know a lot of "Bass" fisherman have nice transom mount foot pedal control trollers but they are $ even used. However I am concerned finding room to mount the TM on the transom next to the 4 stroke....do I just shift the 25HP to one side to make room ? My GPS/fishfinder will be mounted in the rear and after I choose a TM and pick up a deep cycle battery my last project is wiring up everything including motor, lights, etc. Any thoughts especially on the mount would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't shift the big motor to one side, it needs to stay centered! Make a bracket or something to mount the TM on, but don't move the 4 stroke.

I've never seen a bass fisherman with a transom mount TM, mainly because they don't steer the boat worth a crap.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for a used bowmount.

Probably are rare find but I got a 35# bow mount foot control MotorGlide TM for $10 on CL. It didn't work and after purchasing 2 switches and the thumb screw I have $43 in it. I have seen several around here for less than $100

BTW mine is on a 1652 Polar Kraft

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try and find a used bow mount w/foot control or a TM w/foot control and make a custom mount. It looks like the variable speeds are hard to find. Would the same shaft lenght as for the rear work ?

I always prefer the transom motors on the bow in small boats. You can spin the control head around for this application. I built this mount, and it's not hard to do. The transom mount motors are cheaper, and you don't have all the deck mounted stuff cluttering up small decks.

TrollingMotorMount1.jpg

TrollingMotorMount.jpg

Apex Predator said:
I always prefer the transom motors on the bow in small boats. You can spin the control head around for this application. I built this mount, and it's not hard to do. The transom mount motors are cheaper, and you don't have all the deck mounted stuff cluttering up small decks.

TrollingMotorMount1.jpg

TrollingMotorMount.jpg

Nice work ! Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of less clutter plus cheaper !

Bad time of the year to look for a TM :cry:

Pickings are slim and higher price but they sell quickly (craigslist etc)

On a side note anybody have a suggestion on what shaft lenght I should be looking for ? Either a transom mounted TM to be mounted on the bow or a bow mount (both with foot control), I was originally looking for a 36" transom mount until I was educted on the ins and outs of TMs. Thanks,

I had a 36" in this application previously, and it was too short. It was doable if you are seated all the time, but needs to be longer for standing. I just bought a 42" and I think it will be what I need.

Just to give You an idea of shaft length on the TM, here's what a 48" looks like on a Tracker Grizzly 1648

Attachments

• IMG_0012 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0012 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 3,710
novaman said:
Just to give You an idea of shaft length on the TM, here's what a 48" looks like on a Tracker Grizzly 1648

Pic really helps. Thanks. Without thinking I picked up a Minn Kota T34 transom mount; it was only a 30" shaft...way too short. Made a custom bow mount similiar to Apex Predator (thanks for the pic !) for the transom mount. I ended up finding it on craigslist and then selling it for a loss :(

I wish a 36" shaft would work; found a good deal on a Motorguide Varimax 40 with 36" shaft...but it looks like I really need a 42"-48" !

Here is my 42" mounted.

7-11-12.jpg

I also installed a quick disconnect outlet. I installed male ends on my motor and charger, so I just have to plug in the charger for onboard charging.

7-11-122.jpg

7-11-121.jpg

7-11-125.jpg

Latest posts