Boat painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrose

Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering what is the best way to paint your boat ,spray gun , roller, or spray can

shawn

i rattle canned mine. (rustoleum camo). its not the best but for 30-40 bucks it looks good. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24716

scrose said:
hey guys i was wondering what is the best way to paint your boat ,spray gun , roller, or spray can

shawn

"best" in terms of what?
least cost? least effort/time? best look? durability?

i rollered mine with leftover paint. not gonna win any beauty contest, but it beats a professional paint job because it's practically free.

JP said it well.

Any method can look quite good if the prep is done properly and the person does a good job with the method they choose. That said, another thing to consider is type of paint and how thick you want the finished product to be.

I suggest you use equipment you already have on hand. Costs less that way. Harbor Freight brushes and rollers are much less expensive than a 60 gallon compressor and a spray gun. But if you already own it, it's already paid for.

I used a brush on my old trailer, looked great to me. Provided excellent protection but the finish was not "car quality", how nice does it have to be for an old tin or trailer. Your gonna take it out and scratch it all up soon anyway (I hope).
Tim

one thing i forgot to add some Walmart stores have a spray handle attachment that attaches to a spray can. better control and less runs in the paint

I sprayed mine and did not get the desired results so I used the roll and tip method for the last 2 coats and got a decent finish.

I sprayed my Alweld with the aluminum boat green paint using a Harbor Freight siphon spraygun and 30 gallon Home Depot compressor. No regulator and no water removing agents were used either, unless a handheld kink in the hose was a "regulator." I think it came out looking great.

I wire wheeled the heck out it to remove carpet glue and previous goop on the deck. I did wipe it cometely down with white vinegar before I sprayed it.

If you dont have the means to spray, then I see nothing wrong with cutting in all the nooks and crannies with a brush and then rolling the larger portions. Its likely to take longer and I would definitely thin whatever paint you'll be using to help with flow and layout.

Latest posts