1993 Grumman 19' super pro deluxe repower???? (help)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaswirl

Reaction score
hello guy, i found an awesome deal on this boat and i am doing a little at a time, this boat is an awesome find, perfect for the fishing i do, Delaware Bay and local waters. it has a max.Hp of 120, and has a Johnson 50Hp on it now, it moves ok, but i want it to move a little better, if a storm comes in i want to get up and go, do you think a new 70hp 4 stroke would be good or should i go with a 90, is there a big difference in lbs between the 2, i would like to go with a 4 stroke but i dont want to weigh it down too much. it has a 29 gallon built in tank. what are your ideas??? thanks

Start with how much the boat weighs, how much you/the gear weighs and go from there. Generally speaking, the most power your boat is rated for is where you want to be. You don't have to run a big motor WOT all the time.

Ever notice how huge the motors are on the small aluminum boats on the show Swamp People (Alligator hunters)? They use huge motors, look to be bigger than the boat is rated for. They don't need that much power to get around. None of them hot rod the boats, so one wonders why, but after watching the show for a while, you begin to realize they use the motor for the torque, not the power. When those boats get loaded down with the weight of a lot of alligators or they run into a tough situation with weeds, etc., the bigger motors come in handy. Also, when a storm comes up, they can get up and go to get out of the weather.

I personally wouldn't worry about the weight of the motor too much, I'd focus more on the getting a good power to boat weight ratio. If you're concerned about motor weight, look at manufacturers who make the lightest four cycle. But remember, if the weight is cut, where is it cut at? Does the lighter weight motor have thin cylinder walls?

thanks Dave, yeah i was thinking that too, but i also want to think about fuel consumtion also, im thinking a 90hp 4 stroke??

seaswirl said:
thanks Dave, yeah i was thinking that too, but i also want to think about fuel consumtion also, im thinking a 90hp 4 stroke??
if you want to think about fuel consumption, just don't run it at WOT all the time?

when the storm is coming in, you will say to yourself "go baby go!" not "man, this thing gets great mileage!"

Seaswirl
I've got a 2072 alumacraft, that loaded weighs right at 2850#, a Nissan 115 low pressure direct injected 2 stroke, and if I need to hammer it, we go along at 46-47mph. Most of the time it never sees more than half throttle, and a fair amount of trolling at idle ( it has 3 different idle speeds activated by the ign. key), but when I need to get down river or in to the launch ramp, it's nice to feel it haul ***. I didn't think is was too heavy for the HP. Yes it's big but so is the boat, motor weighs in at 400#, compared to my Mercury 4 stroke 25HP at about 170#. That's roughly 5x the power for about 2-1/4 x the weight. and for a 2 stroke , it's relatively quite, and the throttle response has already slid (1) errant fisherman off the seat :lol: . Cost is a factor that'll keep a lot of people from taking the step up, but You only live once. Nissan 115 TLDI , rigged in my hull, which I bought somewhere else : 7k. , cheaper than a Mercury 4 stroke 90HP was. Another thing I liked included with the price was a 5 yr. warranty, 2 yrs. of which was thrown in because of a sales promotin at introduction time. I had a Johnson 50 in '95 and there's no comparison between the older 2 strokes and the newer ones. The 4 strokes are quiet, but in my book they're way overpriced. The only reason I've got one on my 16', is because it was so cheap, I couldn't pass it up :shock:

It all comes down to bang for the buck and whether You can justify the $$$, fortunately at the time I could , but more importantly I'm glad I did for the pc. of mind knowing it'll lift that big tub and go if I need to. J.M. $02 worth.

Novaman

Latest posts