any of you build a boat ? heres the start of mine.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peabody

Reaction score
Woke up early this morning ....and my back. For the 1st time in over two weeks didnt feel so
bad .... it was still dark outside when i headed to the barn. Faint light to the east. Dawn would
Soon be upon me.... time to start on das boot......
And just do it. And quit talking about it. No plans. . Im building. Das boot by eye.
Ill go as far as i can b4 the heat gets too hot..
Tell me. Your opinions.

Peabody

Attachments

• 2012-07-03_09-20-22_234.jpg
    2012-07-03_09-20-22_234.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,197
More pic

Attachments

• 2012-07-03_06-50-05_879.jpg
    2012-07-03_06-50-05_879.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,183
Another pic

Attachments

• 2012-07-03_09-49-40_430.jpg
    2012-07-03_09-49-40_430.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,176
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8hmMu7rVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYM1xviKS3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvyUkTTsLM&feature=related

There are a bunch of homemade boat building videos on youtube, might give ya an idea or 2, than again maybe you want the joy of total originality. Good luck to ya and make sure you video the first launching.

Tim

earl60446 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8hmMu7rVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYM1xviKS3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvyUkTTsLM&feature=related

There are a bunch of homemade boat building videos on youtube, might give ya an idea or 2, than again maybe you want the joy of total originality. Good luck to ya and make sure you video the first launching.

Tim

Thanks tim
I've. Been studying all kinds of boat builds.
settled on the scow. Blunt nosed. Skiff.
Just waithing on the heat to go away ...supposed to cool down some this evening.
Might get a little more done.
Peabody

Ill get a picture of the stern transom...got it glued and screwed. Using. PL construction glue. ..and bronzed screws.
coming together pretty quickly
Peabody

Peabody,
congrats on the start of a new project. i've made plywood boats myself, check out my sig to see my current build (yup, it's not yet done).
what's gonna be your construction method, are you gonna use chine logs or will be it be stitch and glue?
no plans eh....that's a bold undertaking. i imagine it's quite difficult to get the right curves and twists out of plywood without having plans. i can't wait to see your boat go 3D.

your post makes me reminisce the smell of fresh sawdust and the sound of wood working tools. i know this feeling......the bug bites again thanks to you. i think i'm gonna make a simple car top jonboat for a very special lake that has no direct road access. it must be light enough to be easily carried on the short hike.

Should be 3D tommorow...got both transoms in ..going to file her smooth..and instal support brace.
( to spread her out.
this will be just a simple scow .. im amazed how fast shes coming together.
I think? Ill glass the seams ..and primer and paint.
peabody

I guess i shouldn't. Say ( without plans) ive watched video ..bought books. Studied plans. Spent
A bazillion amount of time on the web looking at other builds.
and I've built this boat a hundred thousand ways in my head.
Its paying off ...everything is klicking right along.
ill try to post a boat thats similar to what im building. But mine will be quite a bit bigger.
Peabody

Attachments

• Custom8.jpg
    Custom8.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,109
glassing the outside seam, though not required for your method, is always a good idea. but i don't think it's practical to tape the inside because that would require filling the corners with putty.
remember to round the edges to be taped so your glass has a nice even surface to bond with. the round edges are also more resistant to abrasion than pointy angles. for taping seams, it's better to use fiberglass weaved at 45 degrees because it adds to the stiffness of your hull.

J.P. said:
glassing the outside seam, though not required for your method, is always a good idea. but i don't think it's practical to tape the inside because that would require filling the corners with putty.
remember to round the edges to be taped so your glass has a nice even surface to bond with. the round edges are also more resistant to abrasion than pointy angles. for taping seams, it's better to use fiberglass weaved at 45 degrees because it adds to the stiffness of your hull.

Thank you for the tips!
As im moving along on this project. Heck? Your right ..... i could just glue it all together. Then paint.
no glass at all.
As the build progresses ...i have ideals that will really make her stiff and strong.
This build is kinda sorta like the old warf dory. Walter barons lumber yard skiff.
except i wanted a scow.
bottom width at stern transom is 56" so shes pretty wide. Should be stable as a rock.
16' long. And 48" wide at botom of the bow.

DC Snider said:
Quite the undertaking there, looking great!

Also couldn't help but notice the Farmall "M" under the shed...got a '51 myself...

That is one good old tractor...shes been regulated to light duty..since ive gotten a newer modern tractor.
but ill never get rid of her.
Ive used her for many years.

Forgotten to take a picture ... but did get the bow transom glued in.
the weather is slowing me down..just to hot to get much done.
yesterday had to get help . To pull well pump.
Sure is nice to have water again! !
Peabody

Gotten. A little bit more done ...still super hot.
But a cool front came through ...wonderful relief from the heat ....but lost all electricity.
So i didnt get much done.
But its coming together.

Attachments

• 2012-07-04_07-01-33_331.jpg
    2012-07-04_07-01-33_331.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
Getting external chine on.....
taking longer than i want ..humidity is killing me.
but anyhow ....heres a picture.

Attachments

• 2012-07-08_22-19-54_793.jpg
    2012-07-08_22-19-54_793.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 232

Latest posts