Torn keel repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizzie

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a new project that I'm looking to save from going to the scrap yard!

87 10' Gamefisher, aluminum semi-V. I bought this boat because I felt bad for it honestly. The guy was going to scrap it and I couldn't let it happen so I bought it. :roll: He notified me that it had a leak in the bow area (which I could see was poorly attempted to be fixed w/ fiberglass). The same day that I bought it I put it in the lake and tested it. Sure enough, it had a decent leak coming from the area of the fiberglass mat patch. I took it back home and carefully ripped off the fiberglass patch and to my unwanted surprise, there is a nice 10-12" long tare in the bow keel of the boat.

I sanded down the bottom of the hull and am preparing to fix this old boat. I wanted it because I sold my old jon boat and my whaler is too much of a pain to bring to some of the smaller lakes I fish. I don't want to weld it because I'll probably end up paying way more than the boat is worth to get a weld, I do want to fix it the right way, but welding is out of the question. I went to Lowes and bought some aluminum sheeting, I have a supply of 3M 5200, roll on bed liner and JB weld steelstick from a previous project.

My main concern is how should I tackle this project? The location of the tare is making it difficult to decide. I was thinking I may use pop rivets and fill the rivet holes with 5200, go over that with epoxy. I also planned to do a coat of bed liner under the waterline for peace of mind. (I know some guys don't like to use bed liner on boats but I used it on my last jon and loved it). I just want the boat to float, I don't care if I have to do the repair again in a couple of years... I'm missing out on fishing haha!

Here are a few pics of the rip, it's pretty ugly... Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I only have tomorrow off so I'm looking to get something accomplished if possible.

To see the pictures better, go over them with your mouse and click on them, when the little window pops up, click the button to the left of the X at the top and this will expand the pic to actual size so you can see the tare in more detail.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. I thought about using ss bolts/nuts coated in 5200 but I would probably need a good 30-36 bolts so I'm not sure if pop riveting is the way to go.... Regular non hollow boat rivets I'm not sure how to use and probably wont have a helper to back them while I hit them so that's a no go.

Attachments

• IMG_20120703_172546.jpg
    IMG_20120703_172546.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 2,554
  • IMG_20120703_172612.jpg
    IMG_20120703_172612.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 2,553
  • IMG_20120703_172624.jpg
    IMG_20120703_172624.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 2,553
  • IMG_20120703_172619.jpg
    IMG_20120703_172619.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 2,553
  • IMG_20120702_200543.jpg
    IMG_20120702_200543.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 2,553
I was thinking of attempting something like this..

The BLACK is representing the existing keel and rivets. The RED is representing the aluminum sheet going OVER the existing keel and sealing with lots of 5200 and about 30 rivets or bolts using the existing 30 or so rivet holes in the repair area of the keel by knocking the old ones out.

This all sounds good "on paper", But I'm not sure it will work and have a lot of concerns.

Please excuse the crude quick draw up haha.

Mike

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,506
No experience whatsover in repairing holes that large, but...have you considered taking it to get welded?

Anyway, cool boat, look forward to watching your project!

how do you plan to form the sheet of patch aluminum to the shape of your hull well enough so that it can seal?

5200, a sheet of aluminum, a bag of rivets, bedliner every few years will be more expensive than getting it welded and fixed right once.

Mizzie said:
I do want to fix it the right way, but welding is out of the question.
Well then no, you do not want to fix it the right way. Good luck.

If welding's out of the question (not really sure why, it can't be that expensive...), the next thing I would think about trying would be that fake aluminum brazing stick stuff - it looks like it'd fill the bulk of it. It's probably going to be more expensive to buy all the product necessary. 5200 is a darling on here, but IMO it's for little leaks and or sealing holes, not gashes.

What I'd do is call up your local technical college that offers a welding cert, and find out if you have the students "practice" some welding on it. Might look ugly, but it'd be fixed!

Thanks for the replies! I thought about calling a school but considering it's July, I don't think any are in session. I thought about having it welded but from what I've read on here it takes a bit of skill, so I'm assuming that skill translates into a bigger bill for me. I DO want to fix it the correct way. I'm not a hack job type person which is why I thought what I was thinking was the next best thing to welding. I also thought a weld, if not done 100% correct would fail in this area due to movement/flexing?

I already had the 5200 tubes and such so all I spent money on was a $10 piece of sheet aluminum. Not sure how I would form the sheet aluminum to shape, I was thinking once I started riveting it in place that it would basically form itself. But not positive which is why I posted asking for help haha :).

Like I said, I understand welding is the way to go but not sure if it's doable in my situation? Thanks so much for the help so far, I look forward to posting my restoration of this little old Gamefisher once this repair is done. I am planning to add a carpeted floor (not a casting deck as I believe the boat is too small unlike my last jon). But a nice carpeted floor/bench with some swivel seats, rod holders and a little 4hp, I think she'll be a fun little boat and deserves a second life! :D

Thanks a bunch and Happy 4th to everyone!

Mike

wihil said:
5200 is a darling on here, but IMO it's for little leaks and or sealing holes, not gashes.

Yes I agree, I may have worded my original post wrong. What I meant was I would "sandwich" some 5200 between the boat keel and new sheet aluminum as well as coat the rivets and seams around the repair. But like I said before, It sounds good in writing but you guys are the experts which is why I'm all ears and open to suggestions!

Can you tell me more about this alum stick stuff? A link? I have JB weld steelstick "putty" not sure if it's similar?

Thanks,
Mike

I don't think anything else will hold it for the long run. It will probably just keep spreading and try to separate. Especially with weight in the bow.

The problem you will have with welding will determine how thick the metal is to weld. It's really easy to blow through some of these thin tins.. Since the trouble spot is thick, you shouldn't have a problem. Just need a welder that can also fabricate, lol.

Shouldn't be more than $100 repair. Afterwards fill the inside up w/ 5200.

I would never put any respectable motor on that boat unless it was welded.

What would cause a tare like this to keep separating? Should I add some inner supports to the hull? Even if I were to weld I feel like it would still want to separate which is why I also felt rivets would hold it together a little better, sort of like a brace?

It is, of course, your boat, thus, your choice.

But call around for aluminum welding choices. As it stands now, you "don't think" classes would be in session. However, the instructors probably did not flee the country and could easily do the job. A bunch of other welders can do simple aluminum welding--and that is what it is.

I'd bet $50 to $100, tops, maybe less. What seems horrific to you, is a simple task to an experienced pro who has the tools.

I'm suggesting you make your decision based on INFORMATION, not a feeling that it would be prohibitively expensive.

The damage looks like it is where it might occur with constant beaching of the boat on an abrasive shoreline.

What ever did it, did it good. Obviously, you can patch it...the previous owner did. But for a minor investment you have rid yourself of the problem forever. :)

Your call. Best wishes.

Weldon's really is not that expensive. I had 4 inches added to a transom to fit a long shaft motor. Materials and labor came to $60. Took him two hours. Can't hurt to shop around

Mizzie said:
Yes I agree, I may have worded my original post wrong. What I meant was I would "sandwich" some 5200 between the boat keel and new sheet aluminum as well as coat the rivets and seams around the repair. But like I said before, It sounds good in writing but you guys are the experts which is why I'm all ears and open to suggestions!

Can you tell me more about this alum stick stuff? A link? I have JB weld steelstick "putty" not sure if it's similar?

Thanks,
Mike

Here's a link to the aluminum brazing rods I was talking about - https://durafix.com/

I know one member used it on a tin here, but I don't know what became of it long term. It will fill, but it looks expensive for what it is (IMO).

I still say try and call up the local tech - I know they run welding classes all year long up here, as a lot of people take evening classes to get certed. Welder's are in demand right now up here, so the schools are capitalizing on it where ever they can.

AFA the 5200 sandwich, I know what you mean - again, on here a few members have made "patches" with aluminum plate and 5200 and blind riveted them in - but those patches were on the flats of the boat, not the keel. The problem is the angle.

I still say along with everyone else that welding's the best bet - I'd bust out the phone and make a bunch of calls. 10min can really paint a better picture.

Cheap and good do not work in the same sentence. It's not a very big tear. The metal could be pulled to gether and helioarc welded for a minimun charge at a good welding shop. If you figure the cost of all of the materials to do a patch and factor your time messing with it, welding is going to be the best way to go and it will be a permanent repair, not a patch that you are going to have to address again.

You know what? You guys sold me on welding, granted it cost me less than $100 I believe it's worth it. Thinking about going through this again in a few years, or a new owner if I were to sell it, welding does make sense. I guess I was trying to justify my method haha.

I'm going to call around tomorrow and hopefully find a reasonable rate. The only thing that scares me is I hope the shop know their stuff and what to use with aluminum.

Quick question, how do I pull the metal together to make it easier for the welder? Is it possible to lay a bead that thick or are they going to have to fabricate a patch?

Thanks,
Mike

Nice project to do :WELCOME: . And yes ,welding is the only way. Looking at the pics, someone already tried to rivet a patch in,( notice the 2 BIG rivets, and the way the material is gound away), it didn't tear first, but when it got to where there wasn't hardly any material left it tore. For Your safety and pc. of mind look up a fab shop who can form and fab the aluminum from experience not, somebody who's willing to "try it". A $100 dollars should more than cover it , at least in My neck of the woods. Good luck, and we'll we waiting for more pics of the repair and the mods.

Quick question, how do I pull the metal together to make it easier for the welder? Is it possible to lay a bead that thick or are they going to have to fabricate a patch?

Relax. Let them do it. They will do it the best way.

You won't save anything by pounding on aluminum for two minutes. :)

It will be fine.

I know it is your new baby, now let the Drs. do their work. :)

Have fun.

Is there a casket type material in between the aluminum? If so the heat of welding can cause more leaks.

I had two 10" seem tears and four cracked ribs welded for about $100 at an off-road Jeep fabrication shop.

Google, a telephone, and 30 minutes is the way to go. Look for fabrication shops, off-road shops, racing shops, and that sort of thing. These kinds of places will look at your repair as a side job and won't charge much. Going to a dedicated weld shop might be more pricey because its their bread and butter.

Mom and pop autobody shops are also a good options.

Just call around and chat them up. If you are going to get into aluminum boats as a hobby, forming a good relationship with a good welder is super important.