New Member and new project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC Snider

Reaction score
New member here from southern West Virginia. Found this great site a few years back and bookmarked it. Recently registered so I thought I’d take a minute and share pics and story behind my latest acquisition…

It’s an ’87 Grumman 1237 LWT. A good friend is downsizing his fleet to just a pontoon and a Ranger for his new lakefront home and wanted his ol’ river boat to go to a good home. He had it for several years and let someone borrow it. After sitting outside for almost two years it was returned to him in ruins. The previous owner had painted and carpeted the boat before my friend bought it and it was all trashed.

It has a 54Lb Motorguide Thruster on it, and a nice Shorelander Tadpuller trailer. I already have an old ’65 Merc-Kiekhaefer 110 to put on the back.

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

This isn’t my first go round with a boat. I got my first one at the young age of 13 with some saved up yard mowing money, an old 12’ Orlando Clipper. I bought it while spending the summer with my uncle in Florida. By the time I hauled it home to WV at the end of the summer I had it all dolled up, as best you could in 1980.

I kept the Clipper until the early 90’s, bought a 14’ Tracker with 20 horse Merc. Had that boat fixed up nice too. Then I bought a 17’ f’glass fish/ski, something my wife and daughter could enjoy. After my wife’s back surgery a few years ago I sold the fish/ski and have been without a boat since. Lately my wife and my 21 year old daughter have been encouraging me do more fishin’, get me another small boat and enjoy myself some…do something besides work all the time and tinker with antique tractors.

For me having this boat is like stepping back in time to when I was a teenager, planning and dreaming about modifications…only with a little more money this time  This site is chock full of good ideas, and I’ve got several of my own...many from the good and bad choices I’ve made with my other rigs. I look forward to learning and contributing on this site as I can…

WOW !

I have been looking for a trailer like that ... almost forever !!!
https://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i139/dcsnider/1987%20Grumman%201237LWT%20Boat/IMAG0025.jpg

I'm sick of wheels in the front. I WANT four legs to move it !!!

:lol:

OK, it was a lot funnier when I thought it. :?

You have a project ahead of you, but for me, that's the fun part (well maybe not in this heat, but.)

Show no mercy to the mastic At one time on a restoration, I seriously considered explosives.

Gonna be perfect when you are done, it is.

Best wishes.

Latest posts