Grumman CFS Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kibby

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I got this 10' Grumman, and I am thinking of removing the front two benches, and installing a floor. I'll sink a Swivl-Eze pedestal base approximately where the red "X" is on the pic. I'll leave the rear bench.

My concerns are whether or not the removal of the seats will cause the hull to flex badly and be floppy. Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking of making it all aluminum, floor, braces and all. Do you guys think that will firm it all back up?

I could really use all the advice I can get right now.

BBoat2.jpg

That layout looks close to mine, what I did was remove the front bench and put in a "half height" deck from the middle bench to the front. The deck starts about half way up the middle bench and then goes to the bow. I've got a seat/post in roughly the same area as you've got the "X", maybe a little further back (there's a battery right behind the seat post next to the bench to keep the weight centered up.

I though about putting a higher deck, but the half height one is perfect - not too high for stability issues, but not so low that it wouldn't have a point. Lots of room to turn around, and I've still got the center strength of the middle bench.

Gaaah! :?

After a couple days of deliberating, I am still undecided on what it is that I want. I guess you cant have a boat that will do all of the things you want it to do, especially if your fishing tastes go from one end of the spectrum to the other. One day I am standing in water up to my knees casting a flyrod and the next day I am lobbing a Senko into crystal-clear lake water.

I wouldnt mind pulling the middle bench, and installing a nice flat floor in there. It would give me plenty of room to stand and cast when fishing alone. but... It would also just simply not be as nice as making a better seating area for anyone who comes with me. Again, I am thinking that removal of both bow and middle benches would give me the best of both worlds.

I'm also thinking of welding-in the floor braces. I have a Lincoln mig-welder with an aluminum wire feeding kit. Maybe I'll break that out and experiment a little.

Any thoughts?

If I decide to install an aluminum diamond plate floor, what thickness do you guys think I should get?

Kibby said:
If I decide to install an aluminum diamond plate floor, what thickness do you guys think I should get?
diamond plate is bad for boat floor... very slippery. that said, the thickness required would depend on how far the supports are spaced underneath it.

acabtp said:
Kibby said:
diamond plate is bad for boat floor... very slippery. that said, the thickness required would depend on how far the supports are spaced underneath it.

I was wondering about that. I do like how a plywood floor will dampen noises.

Latest posts