New dude, new boat, need advise!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghooge2008

Reaction score
hey hey guys! I found this forum while searching DIY mods for my new boat. I got started into the game a little late, at 32, this is my first boat. I got this project because my 4 year old is serious about fishing, its all he eats, thinks, and breathes from asking daily about going, to youtubing, to the sports channels on tv, its all about fishing! my father wasnt a fisherman, so were learning together!

anyways back to why I'm here, I recently bought this Tracker tadpole 12 off craigslist, and today the Wife got it taxed and registration papers sent off. were like most people...small budget big dreams.

going out on the boat it will be mainly just me and my son, the wife doesnt care for fishing, but may want to tag along one day for a few hours, but the boat has weird seating arrangements...can you guys give me advise on what I could do, if anything to free up more room I understand its a 12, with weight limits but just wondering what the diy'rs and other tinboat guys would suggest. you will notice I bought the first reliable looking motor I saw to go with this and...I flubbed, it's a long shaft, so I gotta figure something else out :? I dint even know there were different pull start little motor lengths until I started reading here on how to set them up. I plan to put the battery for lights and trolling motor in the front, another issue, is, I'm 6'4" 290#'s am I gonna make this thing tippy being at the back? its a deeper jon boat compared to most I saw and hence the reason for a small motor(weight savings) we dont plan to go fast, just fish the coves close to where we launch from until he's older and Mom and Dad can afford a "real" boat according to my wife. I'm real scared abut the weight capacity now because thats another thing I didnt pay any attention to.

posting pic's in the next post...

Pic's

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 565
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 565
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 565
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 565
:WELCOME: to the forums. Nice looking little boat. I'm sure some of the guy here with 12 footers will have some ideas for you. If you come up with something and are not sure don't be afraid to ask questions, also pictures are good.

First boat at 32 your ahead of me I was 65 :p

It's cool that you and your son are learning to fish together. =D>

You got an awesome trailer for the rig!

To fix the motor length you need to make a jack plate. You could buy one but they are expensive and are relatively easy to build if you don't need to make adjustments.

Here is a picture of mine long shaft on a 10'.

Keep in mind there are 3x lengths. Short shaft ( your boat) 16", Long shaft 20", Extra Long 25".

Attachments

• g333.jpg
    g333.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 545
Congrats on the new rig. =D>
My dad took my brothers and I fishing when we were very young.
He didn't get his first car-topper boat until I was a teen.
I'm sure you and the young man will have some good times.
Again, congrats.

Get that boy out and fish every chance you get. My son is 11 and thats all he wants to do. He would rather fish than play video games, thank god! I hate video games. Good luck with your new boat.

You don't have to do anything to the motor if you don't want to. You jist won't get optimum performance and you will need to be careful not to bottom out in shallow water. I was running my long shaft motor on my short transom boat. I did add a mini jacker but had no issues without it. Congrats on the boat btw.

thanks for the replies and kind words guys! I listed my motor on CL and found a guy that wants it for 550, hopefully the deal will go through and I can buy a short shaft 5-6.5 I dont want to get up to the 10hp range because the boat says the weight is greatly reduced...I cant fathom how a scanoe can hold more weight than this boat... but I dont want to test that sticker.... and sink it.

where my tinkerers at?? somebody has to have modded this style before!

My first thought would be a flat surface for the floor, either aluminum or plywood. My second thought would be pedestals under the seats, which may give you more floor space. The third thing is just to get out and fish it, and the ideas will come to you. Enjoy it.

I was in my fifties when I got my first "boat" and it was a kayak! I presently have my fourth and fifth boats but am looking to sell one and get a bigger toy! :shock:

First and foremost, make sure you have all the safety concerns covered. Happy fishing!

I wouldn't change a whole lot structurally, at your size, about same as mine :) your not gonna add any needed weight. Maybe a flat floor but that's all i would do. When you fall in love with the fish, you'll be getting a bigger boat, it happens to all of us. :) Great little boat BTW, Id love to have one that size for the lake behind the house, tho someone would likely steal the thing.

Nice boat ! and yes it is a real boat...for years wife and i fished from of an inflatable Costco $100.00 ! ,i can't wait till my son and i (wife too) will go fishing together ...but he's only 10 months :D .Enjoy your boat and the pleasure of fishing with your son =D> , don't add too much weight and you will be ok.
Dan

Congrats on your first boat! I got my first one about 2 years ago and have been loving it. It's a 12 ft. flat bottom jon. (I just got a 1448 mv old Sea Nymph that I am working on... woo hoo!) I'm 6'2" and about 210lbs and fish in my boat mainly by myself. That being said, It's pretty tipsy. (I've fallen off the front deck once in front of a whole boat load of people.) When there are two of us in it, we try not to make sudden movements. I have two coolers as seats and a plywood floor in mine, plus a front casting deck. I highly suggest putting a flat floor in. I took mine out without it, and moving around was a pain. I use coolers as seats and for storage and made one into a live well. I would keep the seats lower to the floor as opposed to higher. The higher up, the more tipsy it will be. Also, I put a 9.9 short shaft on it, and wish I had a 15. The 9.9 will get the boat with 2 people up on plane, but it is slow. The 15 gets it going at a better speed, but still safe in my opinion. Anyway, enjoy your first boat, it's great to get out on the water.

Latest posts