Making hatches without using carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

architorture

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of redoing all the flooring in my 1648 Polar Kraft and making a large front deck as well. I plan to use grizzly grip on the deck and floor. Most of the homemade hatches I've seen on here use carpet which really helps to hide imperfections as well keep the hatch tight and clean looking. Since I plan on using grizzly grip, I'm wondering what sort of edge treatment I can give the hatches so they don't have a gap and in the case of imperfect cuts, those can be hidden. I like the Tempress hatches but I'd like to go the homemade route to save $. I already have the piano hinges, so basically my only hangup right now is what to do at the edges. Aluminum angle is probably out of the question, as I can't find a scrapyard around me that sells aluminum. Thanks in advance, -Tucker

This is what I have so far
WP_0001441.jpg

How about aluminum U channel https://www.lowes.com/pd_55981-37672-11385_0__?productId=3058185&Ntt=aluminm+channel&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

IMO if your gonna use channel and such around the edge, why not just make the hatch from aluminum. The channel, angle cap is gonna look as bad as a imperfect cut. I would double up the edge of the hatch, 2 layers of wood, make the second layer about 2" wide, laminate them together, cut straight as possible, then sand a slight radius, maybe 1/8 on the edges, and coat them with the grizzly grip, that stuff will hide a whole lot. If you take your time, a skill saw with a straight edge clamped to it should cut nearly perfect, a table saw would be best, depends on what you have available.