Easy fixer upper or hunk of junk?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SetTheHook

Reaction score
Hey y'all, stumbled upon this website while reading up on jon boats. I'm 19 years old, love to fish and have always dreamed of having a boat that I could fish from. Then I remembered, my parents had this floating piece of metal with seats laying in the backyard, that has been sitting there for years. :D

Jon1.jpg

Jon2.jpg

It floats and everything, it just leaks a little bit from this Bondo looking stuff along the back edge. It also leaks from these bolts on the back of the boat, that look like they once held a piece of wood to mount a motor on.

Jon4.jpg

Jon3.jpg

I don't know that much about boats, so i was thinking I could just pressure wash it, paint it, fix the leaks somehow, mount a trolling motor and be out on the water in no time. Or am I just young and clueless? :-k

There are alot of things that you can do even when the boat is damaged. Take my boat for example, with a little bit of time and effort and not a whole lot of money you can have a great boat.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24716

SettheHook?

There's a lot of life left in that ole boat. :)

Wouldn't be expensive to put in a new transom...just exterior grade plywood and some Spar Urethane. Some JB weld, a sanding disc to clean up the corrosion and debris, and a little paint. Depending the amount of leaking, and need for repair where the bondo is, might take a little bit more...but as it now stands, you got yourself a nice little boat.

Congratulations.

Looks to be a keeper, just needs a little attention, or a lot depending on how carried away you want to get.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Kismet, I had to google what a transom was. I guess i'm that much of a newbie to boats. 8)
But it looks like there is enough information on this website for it to be a manageable project

That's an easy fixer upper and inexpensive if you keep it basic. I just priced a 5/8 inch sheet of plywood at my local Ace Hardware - $21.00.

Cut two sections out long and wide enough to work for your transom, glue together with water proof glue, weigh down with heavy weights until dry. Cut out to your transom shape (Take measurements three or four times to be sure.), then coat with Spar Urethane, let dry. Buy new stainless steel hardware to bolt into your boat. Drill holes in wood where hardware needs to go through. Paint (If you chose to.) to match boat, then install using 4200 or 5200 in the holes where the hardware goes through.

Boat is now ready to go in water, assuming there are no other leaks. If you need to repair leaks, do a search for leak repair on this website and read several solutions and implement one. Other than that, you need nothing else except a life preserver to get that boat in the water.

If you choose, lots of other stuff you can do over time to make the boat nicer to fish from. Just read the forum for ideas.

BTW, welcome to the tinboats forum.

:WELCOME:

That looks like a nice fixer upper you have there. As @DaveinGA said you need to use stainless steal hardware so it wont rust. It looks like the last bolts that were in there were not stainless. Get the new transom, fix the leaks, put a slider g5 on the rear bench. Your TM and your ready! Theres countless things you can do.

Thanks Dave, you broke it down nice and simple for me! I think i might try and tackle the transom this weekend.

And @theyounggun, sounds like good advice about the stainless steel hardware. And that slider g5 chair looks real cool. I've been trying to get into duck hunting also, where it could be very useful too...

SetTheHook said:
Thanks Dave, you broke it down nice and simple for me! I think i might try and tackle the transom this weekend.

And @theyounggun, sounds like good advice about the stainless steel hardware. And that slider g5 chair looks real cool. I've been trying to get into duck hunting also, where it could be very useful too...

SettheHook?

here's a thread on my misadventures with one my boats. I had to do much the same stuff you are, but without any talent. If nothing else, you can use it as a cautionary tale. :) Transom replacement, holes, simple floor-boarding, etc included.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386

Have fun, oh...and as someone said, wear the PFD; water is fun, but operates with absolute rules--even for 19 year-old males who are invulnerable.

devilmutt said:
Looks to be a keeper, just needs a little attention, or a lot depending on how carried away you want to get.

saw this and had to laugh. I think most of us didnt plan on getting carried away or sucked into the addicting hobbie of modding our tins

Latest posts