Crestliner Boat Project!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB_25

Reaction score
I plan on restoring my boat this coming winter. There is nothing wrong with it but cosmetics (i.e. scratches, scuffs, paint chips, and some stuff that is out dated). The plan is to repaint boat, trailer, redo the floor plans, new carpet, new trailer bunks, and trailer light wiring. I know this is a very large project but I am very lucky to have a friend that is good at body work and wood work. This will be a first on a boat for both of us. I have 14.5’ SC Crestliner 14 Angler. Hopefully when it all said and done the boat will look brand new.

We both know to make this look good it will have to have an outstanding prep job prior to painting. What kind of paint would be a good paint to use on an aluminum boat like mine, and a place to purchase it at, I looking for black and white. How much paint will it take? I am in the process of contacting Crestliner to find out about front and rear deck extension and carpet on the side walls.

I think the carpet will most likely come from Bass Boat Carpet. My friend and I have heard a lot of good things about this company. Does anyone else know of a reputable place? What is a good weight for carpet. I normally do a lot of bass fishing and like to fish barefoot so I want something nice and soft but Marine Grade at the same time.

I also need to find a place to buy marine grade wood? I’m looking for ½ inch (not for sure if that is the right size). Do I need Marine wood, or can I use ply wood and water profit myself?

As all ways everyone wants the best so it is the best but also looking for good deals price wise. I plan on purchasing stuff here and there so I don’t break the bank come this winter. By the way I don't plan on starting this project until after fishing season here in Nebraska. There will be more to follow but this is what I can think of now. Also once we start we will defiantly have picture and step by step until it’s done so it will help the next guy if someone’s plans on starting a project like this down the road….

Thank you for everyone’s help.

Nate

P.S. I would like to say you guys have a nice forum and some nice boats!!!!!

Well I just got off the phone with Crestliner with a few question. The deck lift and extension is a go, also carpet on the side walls. As always he said more weight slower speeds hard on the motor reaching plan. Well 98 percent of the lakes I fish are what 5 MPH so I don’t think it will be a problem. Plus I have the boat almost paid off so I plan on placing the max horse power on it. Which is a 40 4 Stroke, although my stick in the boat say 50.

I asked him the initial weight of the factory carpet is 8-10OZ so what weight should I use? I was thinking of 20 but it just more unneeded weight or that’s what I’m thinking.

I also asked about paint and he said if I didn’t take it all the way down to the Aluminum I didn’t have to use self etching primer. So here a question should I take it all the way down or scuff the paint and repaint?

When I sand the paint off the boat and repaint it what about the Hull ID Number? Mine is stamp on the Transom port side in the Aluminum.

Also does anyone have any advice on gluing carpet to Aluminum?

Thanks again.

Nate

Nate,
Welcome and thank you for joining!

If you have some pictures of the boat, please post them.

From what I have read form what the others have done:

Good cheap carpet can be purchased at lowes.

Scratch the marine grade ply and use regular ply and I think 3/8 thickness is fine if supported properly.

The experts will hopefully chime in soon. :D

Jim

BoB,

I glued the Lowe's marine carpet directly to the aluminum using the Henry 663 Outdoor Glue from Lowe's. It was stocked in the back near the carpet installation tools and stuff. Stuff works fairly easy as it's like real thick pancake batter (so it works well on vertical surfaces like inside boat hulls). Used a 1/8" notched rectangular trowel, then after laying the glue and carpet, take a wooden rolling pin if you have one handy, and roll it across all surfaces that you can. That'll help smooth out any glue clumps under the carpet and flatten it out. I did the carpet install in 3 sections.

before pic: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?album=68&pos=3

after pic1: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?album=68&pos=8

after pic2: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?album=68&pos=9

Waterwings said:
take a wooden rolling pin if you have one handy, and roll it across all surfaces that you can.

great idea. Can i ask you what weight is the carpet you bought from Lowe's?

BoB_25 said:
Waterwings said:
take a wooden rolling pin if you have one handy, and roll it across all surfaces that you can.

great idea. Can i ask you what weight is the carpet you bought from Lowe's?

I have no idea what weight it is. The carpet is not top-of-the-line stuff like you'd find in an expensive go-fast glass boat, but at around $2 a linear foot it's very functional for an aluminum fishing boat, and it doesn't look bad either. :)

Oh, when you get around to doing your carpet, make sure you have plenty of new blades for the utility knife to do the cutting. Cleaner cuts and hardly any/fewer frays if the blade is sharp.

BoB_25 said:
man thats crazy cheap. you said you got that lowe's right?

yep :) . Our Lowe's carries it both 6' wide and 12' wide. I went with the 6' wide, made sure the "grain" (for lack of a better word) ran the same direction, and had very little waste. I kept the few scraps in acse I need to maybe patch a spot or something one day. Make sure you ask for the Marine Grade carpet. It has a black rubber backing, and the label should also state Marine somewhere on it.

Here are the pictures of my boat. I still don't understand how to post images, unless i use photobucket or imageshack which are blocked site by my work.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=100

Here are the pictures of my boat. I still don't understand how to post images, unless i use photobucket or imageshack which are blocked site by my work.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=100

Attachments

• IMGP0427.JPG
    IMGP0427.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 2,085

Latest posts