Leaking seams

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catman767

Reaction score
I have a few small leaks down the side seam of my 12' vee I was wondering if anyone has used Captain Tolley's Creaping Crack Cure, and if so, was it any good.... :?:

Thanks Jim

Well I just ordered an 8 ounce bottle of captian tolleys will post results when I seal the seams on my boat.

Jim

I haven't heard of it. Where did you order it from? How much$$? let us know how it does.

I ordered it online from John Millen hardware...... Google Captain Tolley's Creaping Crack Cure...... they have a web site also... It cost $19 plus shipping for an 8 oz bottle...

Jim

River said:
Plumbers use it all the time...lol

crack.jpg

I personally don't trust water based sealants below the waterline, and have found that their life span is less than desireable if not short... but I hope this stuff works for you.

If the creeping crack cure doesn't produce the desired results, you may want to try this stuff:

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/fiberglass/epoxy_resins/coat_it_epoxy_sealer_with_kevlar/30

:oops: sorry...
....but i am watching this thread after looking up the website and checking the spec sheet on the stuff...its like crazy glue but with polymer strands in it that make it strong yet flexible ...the fact it works by capillary action is really neat to get right into the seams.

:D No need to be sorry.... I thought the "crack" was funny as heck ! I will post more info as soon as I recieve the sealer and use it.....

Jim

Well I got the sealer Fri pm and tried it out Sat pm.... I didn't clean or prep the seams on the bow and down the sides of the boat in any way. Just let the sealer run into and down the seam as it wanted to.... I flowed really well down and into the seams... Dries super fast, and can be recoated in 30 min. I did some testing with it before I used it and once it is cured waster has no effect on it. You must use paint thinner " minerial spirits " to get it off. I have some pictures I took and as soon as I can make them small enough I'll post them...

Jim

Cool. Hope it works. If not, there are a few other options. The simplest fix would be to paint the interior seams with Gluv-it, which is a spreadable, 2-part epoxy that dries tough, but flexible. It's usually available at West Marine and/or online. There is also another product called Coat-it which does the same thing. It will then need to either be painted over, or covered with a deck to give it UV protection. You can also rebuck/replace the rivets, or drill them out and replace the with small stainless steel bolts and nyloc washers dipped in 3M 5200.

Here are the pic's I hope.....

001.jpg

The bottle

002.jpg

One of the leaking seams

003.jpg

Captain Tolley's flowing down the seam

006.jpg

It finds leaking rivet..... third from right on top row

Will test in water next weekend..... I do know one ting stuff is hard to wash of off hands when dry....

Jim

I just wanted to post a follow up on how this stuff worked. I ended up sealing all of the seams on the boat from the outside. I then sealed all of the below the water line rivets from the inside, also sealed under all of the ribs and seat supports where the rivets when through the hull. Took boat out last night for 3 hours and not one drop of water leaked into the boat.
=D> =D>

Jim

Well, I have had the boat out half a dozen times for a few hours each time and no leaks, not even a drop.
I don't know how this stuff will work for every one, but it sure worked great for me. =D>

Jim

Latest posts