New guy's first potential build questions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateurhour

Reaction score
First off, I want to say thanks to the mods and admins for making this forum. I've always loved Jon Boat fishing and this was a really good find online. I've read through all of the custom modifications over the last two weeks and I'm looking forward to jumping into a build of my own.

Okay, so here goes. My wife and I are about to buy our first house in the Nashville, TN area and it's about two miles from Percy Priest Lake in TN if anyone is familiar with the area. She's not the boating/outdoors type but she approves of my hobby (thankfully) and she's given me the wife's permission to build a small boat. This would be my first boat.

Here's what I want to do... And I'll start by saying this boat will at max carry me, two dogs, some light camping gear (Priest has some excellent little islands on the lake to camp on) and maybe one other person, two max when fishing. (realistically, just one other passenger MAX)

So I want to get this:

https://www.alumacraft.com/2012-models/mv-1648-ss/mv-1448-15-20/#info

It's the Alumacraft (after looking over the forums, I've fallen in love with the Alumacraft, and they've got them everywhere around Nashville) 1448 Modified V

I'd like to get it with the side console already installed, and I'm guessing I can find one around $1500 (basing that around Academy Sports selling the stock 1448 flat for around $1000)

I plan to tow it on my truck with this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-boat-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-5002.html

It's the Harbor Freight trailer for $399 that can handle a 14 foot boat and it can hold up to 600lbs. The dry weight of the 1448 is around 260lbs, and I figured another 200 for Motor and gear so I'd be well under the limits of the trailer.

I want to start with a new boat because I'm not really the worlds best handyman and I don't want to start out repairing and repainting something. I want to start with something that works.

The boat has center storage, so the only thing I was thinking of adding is a trolling motor up front and a carpeted piece of plywood over the ribs and possibly a small front deck, and some seats obviously.

The only real twist is that I want to eventually use the side console as intended and get a steering wheel kit for the motor, which from what I've seen runs around $1000 to $1500 with the teleflex system. I'd put a 10HP Johnston or Mercury on there most likely.

So does this build sound realistic for my needs? Am I overthinking it or missing something? Are those prices realistic?

I appreciate any advice this forum has to offer.

Thanks, and glad to be here.
~(aptly named) Amateurhour

(also no, I don't plan on signing all of my posts, I promise)

Welcome aboard!! A 1448MV is a good boat. Everyone has their own vision of their perfect boat. That's why there are hundreds of different shapes sizes and designs here. After owning 2 tiller boats and 3 boats with side consoles including a 14'. I would carefully consider the space a side console takes up. Boats are always smaller in the water than in the showroom :LOL2: and regardless of how large the boat is there is never enough space :LOL2: I have a 1648 with a 9.9 tiller. Check the link out below my signature if you like. Looking forward to seeing your project.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not in a rush. Honestly I want to enjoy fishing more than working on a boat so when I do get this started this winter I plan to stick with a tiller motor to start unless I find some ridiculous deal on craigslist for a teleflex kit or someone selling a 1448 SC with a motor and trailer for under 3K.

But it is something I want to do. I LOVE driving a boat on the water, it's the best way to be on the water for me personally, so it's something I'm going to do one way or another, and like I said, it's pretty much just me and the dogs on the boat. Honestly the only reason I'm stuck on the 1448 is because it's so cheap with that harbor freight trailer and I want to buy new stuff since it's my first boat and all.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum! I'm in Nashville and fish Percy a lot. I also purchased. My first tin boat just this week. What area of town will you be in? Good luck with your mod!

have you considered stick steering? not as expensive and it takes up less space than a console. due to design flaws in my boat, i have to use a tiller extension whenever i'm fishing alone to get the best trim. i have future plans to install an https://www.ezyglide.com/STEERING.html

you're reason for getting a new boat is valid, but there might be one or two year old boats in like new condition that are priced much lower than straight from the dealership..just sayin'.................

J.P. said:
have you considered stick steering? not as expensive and it takes up less space than a console. due to design flaws in my boat, i have to use a tiller extension whenever i'm fishing alone to get the best trim. i have future plans to install an https://www.ezyglide.com/STEERING.html.

The Easyglide looks intersting, any idea as to the cost didn't see any listed anywhere on their web site.

J.P. said:
have you considered stick steering? not as expensive and it takes up less space than a console. due to design flaws in my boat, i have to use a tiller extension whenever i'm fishing alone to get the best trim. i have future plans to install an https://www.ezyglide.com/STEERING.html.

The Easyglide looks intersting, any idea as to the cost didn't see any listed anywhere on their web site.

Welcome to the forums amateurhour

Gramps50 said:
J.P. said:

Welcome to the forums amateurhour
I checked into it for my boat. Depending on the length of cable needed and where you buy, between $200-$300, but I don't think that includes remote engine controls (throttle, shift, starter)

Woah lots of replies!

@trob445 - I'm going to be in the Hermitage area just a few exits up from the Elm Hill (?) Marina exit, so it's pretty close. Thanks!

@J.P. - I should have clarified that, by "new boat" I mean that if I find something that's no more than 2-3 years old and still looks great, I'm totally fine with that. I just don't want to start off with an '87 that I have to repair leaks on. Not ready for that yet, but I'm fine with some minor work or a new paint job or something.

regarding the easyglide, it's just not for me. In theory it looks fine, but I just want the wheel. Honestly a big part of this boat isn't just fishing. It's having a steering wheel so I can drive around on the water and just relax. Normally I'd just tell myself to find a good deal on a used ski/fish combo or something but I want a SIMPLE boat, a good tin boat with a small trailer that's easy to upkeep and fun to drive around and camp and fish.

I LOVE getting out on the water with friends, but HATE seeing the work and time they have to put into upkeep on those 10K and up boats, ski boats, house boats, pontoons, etc. I don't want any of that. I'm like 10 minutes from the lake and I've already got the truck, so I'm just looking to have something unique that I can call my own.

Really the steering wheel is the biggest x factor, but like I said earlier, I just want to get on the water first. I want to get the alumacraft with the sc already installed, but I'll probably just put a tiller on it for the first summer just to get used to being out on the water, and add the steering as time and money permits. I want to try and be reasonable about it if I can : )

I do wish that adding steering wasn't such a huge investment. I did find a few boat dealers that do a trailer/1448 sc/engine combo for around 5K, but it just comes with a little 4.4 HP motor, and I figure if I can get the boat and trailer for under 2K, I can spend about 1500-2000 on a nice used engine and the steering kit, save about a grand off the dealership costs, and get a more powerful motor.

We'll see though, right?

you want the max horsepower the hull is rated for. cruising gets old when youre going 8mph.

i would also recommend a bass boat style covered rod locker. so your pooches want get tangled or hooked.

Okay, so I had a productive day today...

I got up early and went to one marine supply place like 30 miles from my apartment (close to our new house) because they were an authorized alumacraft reseller. The salesman was a complete dick who told me that they "just didn't make enough money off of aluminum boats so he couldn't even order one and I should just try Bass Pro or Academy..."

Basically he said I can't make a big commission off of you so go screw yourself. Whatever, that was fine. So I found ANOTHER marine supply place, which was ironically located one exit below our current apartment (crappy timing) and it was FANTASTIC.

I spoke with the sales rep and he showed me like 5 other brands of boats. I fell in love with an Xpress 15 series, which is all welded and has a raised front deck on it already. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. It was on sale with the trailer for about 3K brand spanking new.

After that we had a long talk about steering wheels put in after the fact. It's not the most difficult thing you can do to a boat. He said he could install the console and throttle for around 1500 with labor, all I'd have to do is buy an engine with a steering tube.

All in all it went very well. Looking forward to starting this project as soon as possible.