Top speed!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddychrist

Reaction score
Alright guys here's the test! I'm looking to see who is pulling the top speed. Even if you aren't going to be the fastest post your speed and rig anyways! Maximum hp 25 sorry guys but those 115's are in a whole new league. No prizes just for fun! This is a learning environment to see what produces the best results

Setup in this format
1. Year/Make and model of the motor
2. Year/Make and model of the boat
3. Current propeller
4. Aftermarket mods aka hydrofoil, etc...
5. Approximate weight
6. Approximate 0-plane time
7. Top speed

Post a picture of your boat to go with the post if you can! As always be safe and honest!

I'll get my gps on my boat as soon as I get a new pin made for the motor tilt! Lets make it happen guys!!!

31.8 Johny25
30 Fishins my life
27.5 River bottom outdoors
27 Big Wave
26.6 00Mod
26 LoveDr79
25 Vermonster
24 Cat man steve
22 Patriot2
22 Little Chub
20.2 Ricky Bobby Bend
20.1 Palmer812
19 Cat Man 767
18 Lennyg3
16 Bass Tender 10.6

Ok I am in..... although I have modified my 25hp, but it was a stock 25 when I started so I am not sure if that mod is allowed.

1. 1988 Johnson 25hp longshaft electric start
2. 2002 Lowe 1467t Deep V hull
3. 10X14 stainless Solas
4. Larger intake manifold and carburetor
5. 800-850lbs gross (that includes everything like boat motor, boat, custom flooring, seats, gas tank, persons...etc)
6. approximately 2-3 seconds to plane
7. Top GPS speed recorded 31.8 mph on a 2" jackplate

DSCN6625.JPG

Ok, here's where I am mid-way through the mods. Should have better weight balance soon.

1. Year/Make and model of the motor: 1979 'rude 9.9 stock
2. Year/Make and model of the boat: 1979 Gregor 1244 welded
3. Current propeller: stock
4. Aftermarket mods aka hydrofoil, etc... none
5. Approximate weight: boat, motor and gear, 300lbs. gross weight with the killer-at-the-tiller: 475lbs
6. Approximate 0-plane time: didn't measure, but will next time out
7. Top speed: 20.2 gps. One run (not two consecutive runs in opposite directions averged, but no noticable
wind; on a lake)

GregorStarboardBeam.jpg

I fixed the pin and took it out for the first time today. One small pinhole leak but otherwise the hull is sound! Now I figure out how to stop it from porpoising when on a plane........

I'm gonna be gone to NC tomorrow so when I get back I'll set the pin further forward and probably be looking into a homemade jack plate so I can drop the motor further down in the water...

66 Evinrude 18 hp
1980 Fisher 1438 modified v
Stock aluminum prop (10 or 11p, can't remember)
No mods
About 750lbs gross (wood decks, tm, batteries, fishing gear, two guys)
3-4 seconds to plane (2-3 boat lengths)
24 mphIMAG0088.jpg

I am amazed at the speed some of you are getting with those smaller motors. Especially the LOWE with a 25 that is getting 31.8 mph. Heck, my Fisher SV-2 only gets 29.1 with 2 people and all the gear but it has a 48hp spl johnson (old, 1988) on it. I gotta lose some weight and so do all my fishing buddies.
Tim

Once I get the friction plate fixed with some weight in the bow, and set the motor pin further down to get the prop deeper I should be in the 30's I ran it until the boat was hoppin out of the water and it was pullin 27 on the gps but it was also empty, just gotta get it set right and it will be cookin

1999 Johnson 15hp long shaft electric start. 2010 Polar Kraft MV1468. stock prop no mods. i would have to guess at the weight about 450lbs. One person 210lbs. 20.1 mph Two people 17 mph

Setup in this format
1. 2012 Mercury 25 4 stroke efi
2. 2011 weldbuilt 1648
3. stock 9.5???
4. none
5. not a clue, but all aluminum framing for decks, no wood
6. man, way too much info lol
7. 26.6 with me(180) and one other guy (130)

without the pedestal seats.....

utf-8BSU1BRzAyNDAuanBn.jpg

Ok guys I'm going away for a week! I'll update the list as soon as I get back and get one more top speed run after adjustments!

I brought back my o'l bull riding skills back from when I was 18! Had a rope on the seat holding on with my left hand and my right having that 25hp for all it's got! Gotta say it was one hell of a ride, I let off when the prop got out of the water, I'm crazy but not stupid haha!

earl60446 said:
I am amazed at the speed some of you are getting with those smaller motors. Especially the LOWE with a 25 that is getting 31.8 mph. Heck, my Fisher SV-2 only gets 29.1 with 2 people and all the gear but it has a 48hp spl johnson (old, 1988) on it. I gotta lose some weight and so do all my fishing buddies.
Tim

Well like I said, I have done some engine mods like a 30hp carburetor, bigger intake, bigger reed stops.....etc. so I am actually pushing more than 25hp although it is a 25 platform that I started with. Also the 31.8 mph speed that I clocked was with it on a jackplate that I only ran with one time because the prop cavitated so bad while trying to get on plane. But once on plane she was a screeming meemee! The post said TOP SPEED and I hit that speed so I posted it. I have spent countless hours and test runs getting the most out of this engine and boat.....words cannot explain trust me lol. I usually run with a heavier load than what was posted and I don't run the jackplate so my speeds are 28.5-30.2mph depending on my load. I am going to do more engine mods the winter and hope to hit the 35mph next year. But I need a lower gear case ratio to do this.

I pass up 40, 50 and 60hp motors all the time on the lake and I love it :lol: I have yet to have a 25hp or smaller pass me by and try and make sure it never happens :mrgreen:

The key to getting the most out of your setup is knowing your motor and its peak RPM range and that means a good tachometer. A good GPS to verify improvements. Proper engine height (less drag) and trim position. Getting a good SS prop with the highest pitch you can get while keeping your engine at its peak RPM. Proper weight distribution. And keeping your motor in tip top running condition. This will all help top speed.

Okay . . . I'm in, but . . . speed kills!

Motor: 1987 Nissan NS15B-1 (140psi compression, stock)
Hull: 1987 Lowe 14 Superior-V (200 lb dry hull)
Prop: 9.2" x 8.4P x 3
Mechanically Stock
approx. 450 lbs GVW
2-3 boat lengths
11 miles (30 min) 22mph, flat water, no wind, no current, no canopy or sun screens

(now I'm waiting for the "How many nights have you spent on your boat?" thread)

Attachments

• LoweCollage.JPG
    LoweCollage.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 2,319
That is waaaaaaay cool patriot. Gives new meaning to mobile home :lol: Did you custom make that canopy or is there a kit for that? Yeah, do you have a thread for your boat? This a definite thread maker if not :D I for one am interested in how you made that or where you got it. I may never come home if I get one of those.

Setup in this format
1. 2004 20hp mercury 2 stroke
2. 1998 Sea Nymph tx15
3. jet
5. 800
6. 4 sec
7. 18mph

2009 1448 grizzly tracker side console[*]
2009 merc. 20 hp four stroke
No mods, bow mounted tm, one battery, 3 gallon tank under console
Floor and front deck, added a rear aluminum hatch cover
Weight, umm not sure. Me 180 lbs. Gear,cooler 75lbs.
Top speed 26. With just me. Two people 24.

Amazed at some of these speeds. I need help or a different boat.

1990 6hp Yamaha
Real old 12' vee sea nymph
8.5 x 7.5 x 3 prop 2.08:1 gear ratio 5580 rpm
No mods
Approx 400 lb
A few seconds
19 mph

1990 Alumicraft MV angler 16
1998 50 hp Johnson (oops just saw your 25 max, oh well LOL)
Stainless prop (no idea) just purchased boat
3 sec to plain
Top speed 34 so far
Gps screen capture. Wasn't able to capture at 34speeed.jpg

I am going to put the stock cast prop back on and try it. Boat steering pulls so hard to the right it is difficult to hold for more than a few minutes.

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 983
MY other boat 2011 Tracker 1542
2012 20hp Merc 4 stroke
total weight approx 600 lbs
Plane nearly instant
Stock 10in prop
Top speed 32 mph
link to video from first day break-in (hope this works) Short one min. blast!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=395806340433796

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 983

Latest posts