New member, old boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtmike

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm new here, I joined because I've recently acquired a rather old boat in bad shape that I want to put back into the water and I'm looking for some good ideas.

I have a general idea of what I want it to look like when I'm done, but its getting there that is going to be the challenge.

I'm going to upload a few pics of what I have to work with. All of the interior is rotted but I've found some interesting features out so far. Its a 12' rowboat, there is a flat metal floor under the carpet (more ribbed than truly flat), no manufacture's name anywhere. I'm thinking its an early 1950's boat. I've been told a little of its possible history. I even have the original oars and a 3 hp Sears outboard that came with it. Its a relatively flat bottom boat with a very lightweight aluminum interior structure that has large round holes on the far left and right of the middle seat structure. It floats with very minor leaking.

Does anyone have any idea of a manufacture of this boat?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 331
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 331
:WELCOME: to Tinboats!

That is an awesome looking boat. Not sure who the Mfg'r is but certainly someone will recognize the sides..

I would hope so. It really is quite unique and stable. I hope to start removing all of the rotted wood next week and getting a general idea of what I'm getting into.

My idea is to put a deck on the front half of the boat to help balance it out. That will give me a nice platform and some good storage space.

I have an old Sears 3hp outboard that I'm going to have rebuilt. My favorite lake around here is an "idle only - no wake", so the small motor will be fine.

Mike

Today the boat gets brought to the house. Hope to be able to strip all the old wood out and get it cleaned up and come up with a good plan for a new interior. I'll post more pics in the hope that someone might know who the manufacturer of this boat is. My goal is to put a low deck the front half with storage below, box in the stern, add some flotation, and replace the transom. I have some one inch seasoned oak lumber, 10" wide. Would this be ok to use if I waterproof it?

I brought the 1967 Sears-Eska 3.5hp motor home the other day. I spend a day taking it apart and cleaning and seeing what needed replaced. $6 later it runs like a champ. It needed new gaskets in the carb. The last time it ran it would run good for a minute then quit. It seems to be running much better now, just needs a little adjustment.

Mike

Nice, Sarge.

If I might suggest...after you rip out the debris, use it a few times before deciding what you want to modify.

Even, but low, floors often work more practically than do decks in a 12 ft boat. Sometimes, a Rubbermaid container has more utility than a built-in storage area, and uses less space.

Sometimes, less is more. :)

Have fun, take pictures.

It's home. Got all the rotted wood out, which happened to be all the wood in the boat. I've used the boat a few times when my dad first got it. Its a nice stable boat. Took lots of pics today and I'm working on a new idea on the floor. Im thinking a lower floor area might be better. Ill post some pics with my ideas in the next few days.

Mike

Latest posts