Decking questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzellc

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time lurker starting a new project. I have recently purchased an '81 Mirro F1620 dual console. My goal is to convert the hull into a center console configuration. The floor was pretty rotten so it has been removed and I am wanting to replace the plywood deck with something other then plywood. I have been looking at 5/4 cedar deck boards as an alternative. They have some natural decay resistance and are light weight. The hull has plenty of support for fastening. I tried a search and didn't see any discussions of alternative products (other than aluminum plate). Any comments or suggestions would be apprecitated.

They would probably work. Here's some thoughts:

1. The gaps between the individual boards will allow drainage down to the bilge area across the area of their location, so keep this in mind during your build and make sure to provide positive drainage all the way to where your bilge pump is located.

2. Any kind of wood you use, you'll need to water proof it as much as possible to extend it's life. You'll want to consider Spar Urethane and Epoxy Resin, but since you're using wood, I would look real hard at that deck "restore" product sold at Home Depot. Makes for a water proof and non slip surface area. You could also use it to seal cracks between boards. Designed for docks, but will work great with the board you're thinking about. Would eliminate the need for carpet (retains water and causes wood to mold, mildew and rot).

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the replys guys. If I were to use 1/2" ply I would glass it on both sides to encapsulate and that would increase the weight. I have settled on a "decking" type product available from Menards (for you midwest guys). It is a 1/2 x 3-1/2" plank made to lay over old decking. It appears strong enough to span the existing aluminum sub-structure and will have the plank look that I want. I will start posting picutres when I get the original deck completely removed.

Just remember... Pressure treated is BAD for Aluminum.. Cedar is the way to go, although expensive.

buzzellc said:
I have settled on a "decking" type product available from Menards (for you midwest guys). It is a 1/2 x 3-1/2" plank made to lay over old decking. It appears strong enough to span the existing aluminum sub-structure and will have the plank look that I want. I will start posting picutres when I get the original deck completely removed.

Before you buy this product, make sure and find out what the weight of the product is and running some numbers vs. plywood and cedar board. I was looking strong at a similar product called Trexx board and did use it in some of my application, but it is heavy and for a full deck would weigh a good bit more than treated plywood or cedar. I ended up using aluminum for decking because I wanted water proof as I could afford.

Home Depot here also carries a product called Deck Restore and if you're using wood, it makes for a water proof coating that handles water well, is slip proof and is very affordable. Some folks don't like the appearance, but if I'd went with wood, it would be on my decks now. Comes in a huge variety of colors.