What to use for flotation?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HahnZooKeeper

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
We've been working on our 1981 14' Starcraft Seafarer for a little over six months and are in the "Home Stretch". But before we put the floor in for good I want to put a little bit of additional flotation below deck. I was thinking of the spray foam you can get at the discount home improvement stores called "Stuff", but someone said it absorbs water. Last time I checked, THAT'S BAD for a boat!!!
Anyone have a good, reasonably priced way to do this? I don't want it to look like a "Hillbilly" did it either!

swimming pool noodles and 2" insulation board fro home depot or lowes. pink or blue. I used it in my 18' sylvan open bow.

do not use spray in foam from the hardware store. You want closed cell foam.

do a search for floatation foam on here, you should get many results.

The best bang for the buck is the EPS sheet foam that the above posters mentioned.

Pool noodles are more expensive, don't last as long, and don't float as much weight per cubic foot as the EPS does.

jigngrub said:
The best bang for the buck is the EPS sheet foam that the above posters mentioned.

Pool noodles are more expensive, don't last as long, and don't float as much weight per cubic foot as the EPS does.

+1!
If you've ever had pool noodles that have been exposed to the elements for more than a couple years, you'll know they're a terrible investment.
They start to crumble & flake, very quickly.
I'd be afraid of what I can't see, below the floor.

HahnZooKeeper said:
I want to put a little bit of additional flotation below deck............................................... Anyone have a good, reasonably priced way to do this? I don't want it to look like a "Hillbilly" did it either!

i use PET bottles.....assorted sizes to fit most of the available space.......they don't corrode, rot, etc....once you tighten the cap, they'd remain boyant forever. a hillbilly can't be blamed for how they look but a "hobo" might if somebody sees them.......they're hidden, so who'd know?

space between the bottles can and will fill with water..............this works for me because it also allows for better drainage..the bottles can be encased in a plastic bag to prevent this, but i didn't bother because it will be a problem in case the plastic bag tears or leaks.....

Latest posts