trailering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3shorts

Reaction score
what is safest way to tie down boat to trailer? Never having done that, want to get it right.
thanks.

Put a winch on the front of the trailer and toss a ratcheting strap on the rear hooked to the frame about a foot infront of the transom

With an abundance of caution, I always use a safety chain connecting the bow eye and the trailer, in addition to the winch strap/cable.
If the trailer is long enough, I prefer a set of stern tie-downs connecting the stern of the boat with the trailer, rather that a ratcheting strap.
They are at least as secure and not prone to vibrating in the wind flow. On my current rig, I am using gunnel tie-downs since the boat extends well beyond the trailer frame, even though the bunks extend past the transom. Finally, I always secure the motor in some fashion; either a transom saver or bungeed to the trailer frame.

I use a safety chain also but I figured that was a given. It's not hard just figure out what stops your boat from moving on the trailer. No trigonometry on this one just use common sense and it'll be fine.

Any straps are fine just as long as its tight. Overtons sells bolt on straps that bolt to the frame but they're pretty pricy.

I don't use my winch to hold the bow of my boat, I have a synch strap with the hooks in the bow eye that goes under the trailer tongue. I leave the winch strap connected but with no tension on it.

On the rear I use two of the same type of synch straps and hook them to both rear handles and the frame. I also use a transom saver for the motor.