Anchor trolley use...on a small tinny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
If anyone here has used a kayak, they probably are familiar with the device/rig known as an "Anchor trolley". Since my "fleet" consists of way too many boats of various configurations ( just ask my wife! )....I have found that the use of an "anchor trolley" on the yak is a very helpful device. Seems to me that smaller tinnys would also find an "anchor trolley" helpful.

Imagine being able to set your anchor, easily and quietly, at the bow, amidships, or at the stern.

Now, none of those things should be done in a big wave situation. I'm talking about calm ponds and smaller lakes. Light winds and small, perhaps even only electric motor restrictions might fit the bill. We don't want any members taking a wave over the stern due to bad advice. Use your own prudent judgment about when to deploy any anchoring system.

Anchored up under bridge, with a gentle current running, bow-first seems to make sense. Yet, when sitting just outside of a lily pad flat, wind at your back, it might be best for the anchor to be positioned at the stern, allowing forward casting.

Amidships might be best if you were floating aside a beaver lodge and needed to quietly work the areas around it. There are a myriad of situations where positioning your boat some way other than just anchored at the bow could be helpful.

Also, if you use a "stick-it" type anchor in shallow water, positioning that anchor stick at the bow, stern or amidships could be useful, too

Anyhow, here is a LINK to an article that discusses the anchor trolley. Slide down through the discussion until mid-page and read on!

regards, Rich

https://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?174

Oh, I think the crank leverage part would be fine, especially with my old back.

However, raising the anchor isn't the same as positioning the anchor line anywhere along the gunnel. Different solutions for two different problems.

Nice product. rich

I use something like that "anchor trolley" on my boat when using a drift sock. There's a few times when I don't want the sock at the front or rear, so I put the anchor line between the bow/stern and use my anchor shock to attach the drift sock anywhere on the line.

I've always been under the impression that unless there's no current or the water is flat, all boats should be anchored with the bow into the direction of force (waves/wind/etc).

You are correct about a caution against "stern anchoring" in current or big waves. That is why I added the warning in the original post.

Your use of the anchor trolley on a drift anchor is another use that I've had fun with on my little yak. I can drop the drift chute in by the side of the boat, never leaving my seat. Then, with the anchor trolley, I can re-position the chute to the stern, or where-ever I want it.

regards, Rich

I made an anchor system on my two seat kayak. It was composed of several "D" rings where I was able to drop the small folding claw anchor off of the stern behind me and not have to turn around.

My fiberglass boat has a small bow roller to guide the anchor rope up until the anchor chain appears. I only use one anchor on the bow as I've had an experience with sudden winds before when using an anchor on the stern. The anchor was snagged on the bottom and the boat started taking on water on the stern so I had to cut the anchor rope quickly.

My tin only uses a bow anchor as many of the lakes I fish in have some strong afternoon winds.

Latest posts