Transom build up ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djknyork

Reaction score
To get the most out of my tunnel hull I want to build up the transom a few inches. I have two 3-inch wide aluminum plates that are 3/8 inch thick. If I bolted one for each clamp of my 30 HP motor do you think that would be strong enough? I'm only looking to raise it 3-4 inches above the existing transom height. Thanks!

3"-3/8th's flat?
Seems by the time you bolted it on,there wouldn't be much left to bolt to or not very strong.
I'm thinking no,if I'm picturing it right.

The aluminum plates are 3/8" thick 3 inches wide and about 18 inches long.
I have two pieces (one for each motor clamp). I'm thinking bolt about 10 inches to the existing transom and then leave about 4 inches above the transom to clamp the motor too (plus a piece of 2x6 wood).
I don't want to have to buy anything and had these laying around and thought 3/8" would be thick enough. At only 4 inches above existing transom probably the lower 1/2 of my motor clamp will be pushing against the top of my existing transom.

Do you still think it will not be strong enough? I appreciate any and all input if I need to buy thicker or maybe even some steel I'll do it just don't want to have any problems on the water.

I would not use flat stock, regardless of the thickness, because it has very little strength the flat way, it will either bend or break at the point where the plywood meets the top of the transom. Angle or tube would work much better, as it has the additional strength going front to back, which is where it really counts for your application

Ok I see what your talking about catman. Thanks for the info that's the direction I'll go then.

Djknyork said:
The aluminum plates are 3/8" thick 3 inches wide and about 18 inches long.
I have two pieces (one for each motor clamp). I'm thinking bolt about 10 inches to the existing transom and then leave about 4 inches above the transom to clamp the motor too (plus a piece of 2x6 wood).
I don't want to have to buy anything and had these laying around and thought 3/8" would be thick enough. At only 4 inches above existing transom probably the lower 1/2 of my motor clamp will be pushing against the top of my existing transom.

Do you still think it will not be strong enough? I appreciate any and all input if I need to buy thicker or maybe even some steel I'll do it just don't want to have any problems on the water.

No way they will fold like a bad poker hand.

Latest posts