Talk to me about outboards.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

79Stroker

Reaction score
So, I have been having trouble with my motor for some time and can never seem to get it fixed. As the days go by, parts are becoming harder to find, and I finally took the boat into the shop. Well, they told me that the man hours that it would take to fix it out weigh the worth of the motor. The motor mounts are bad and that is most likely the cause for my other problems but not a 100 percent certain.

So, heres my question do I need to stay with a 40 horse this motor pushed us about 20 but never ran tip top, the mechanic told me he had a 25 horse Johnson that would push the boat around the same. Is that true?

The boat that I'm running is a 1648 that loaded with wood probably about 2/1/2 to 3 sheets of ply.

Thanks.

What year and make is your motor?

No 25hp Johnson is gonna push it as fast as any 40hp that's running like a top.

I'd say your mechanic is trying to get a sale out of you but that's just me and I don't know the guy so I don't have much say so on it

It's a 78 mariner. I realize that a 25 will not run the same as a 40 but what I'm asking is if the 25 will push us around 20 mph like he has said, I doubt that he was trying to sell me on that motor because he also showed me several other motors. But i like the weight and size of the 25 but with having the weight of the wood and prolly around 600 in people and gear I just don't know how it will handle us.

He did say that the 25 came off of a bass tracker and is a 93.

Hell, most of the claims I see around here, anyone with a 25hp motor runs at least 50-60 mph. :roll:

But a 1648 sounds to me like it would probably run 20mph with a well running 25hp outboard on it, maybe even a little better.

Tim

50-60 is well out of the question

25-30 pretty close depending on your hull style and size, anything over 14' isn't gonna make it close to 30

I'm doing pretty good at 27 but it's completely empty on a 14' mirrocraft V-Hull on flat calm water with the wind at my back. But I'm weighing it down to stop porpoising so it's gonna be slower.

I'd say that 40hp could cook a good 30-40 depending on your gear ratio, prop, etc...

earl60446 said:
Hell, most of the claims I see around here, anyone with a 25hp motor runs at least 50-60 mph. :roll:

But a 1648 sounds to me like it would probably run 20mph with a well running 25hp outboard on it, maybe even a little better.

Tim

yeah some people think they have to tell stories about how fast their motors run, they dont realize that most people(and now me too thanks to J25) can do the math and know they are not at all truthful....

and id have to say that 25 will get 20 mph on your boat.....and its a johnson!!! win win!!!!

My 1968 Johnson 20hp was pushing my 1970 Lund 14' tin boat at around 22mph, 2 years ago (before I had everything dialed in).
I haven't checked it, lately...But, I don't see why you'd have too much trouble getting 25mph from a newer 25hp, with the boat you mention.

My 1648 Lowe 25hp Mariner with two people and decked out would do almost 30mph sometimes. 25mph was no problem. Now I'm going with a 35hp Johnson. I think I'll gain a couple mph is all.

I'm thinking you should get 20+ with a 25hp.
I have a older 30hp mariner/yamaha on a 1652 tunnel hull and still get 28.
I guess it depends on how heavy your mods are but still,20+ should be doable.

Heck I only get 35 to 36 mph outta my 1450 xpress and I'm running a 50 horse Johnson. Mine is a heavy gauge welded boat with remote steering though.

If your running a riveted boat I would think the 25 should get you where you want to be.

Latest posts