Seats question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysavioreigns

Reaction score
Hello all.

I've got a 1436 that I'm getting ready to start working on & modifying. Eventually I plan on installing decking and carpeting and such, but because it's a 36" boat, I've decided the decks will be very low. Originally I had planned on putting a tall seat on a front casting deck, sort of like Jay415 did here. But, I'm just not sure that's going to be stable.

So what other options do I have? I could put a swivel-seat into the middle bench seat, but I have no idea what is on the inside of the bench seat (foam? empty?) and I've never seen anyone drill a hole into it. If there's nothing in the middle bench, would drilling a hole into the middle hurt anything?

Most of the swivel seats' bases protrude about 2" below the top of the base, so my original plan of just putting a piece of plywood onto the bench seat won't work... I'll need more room.

Thanks for the suggestions and help

2012-07-13_18-15-51_951.jpg

I have a low decked 1648 and these are the seats and mounts that I used. There is a seat, a swivel and a mount. I got them at my local marina, but they carry them at BPS and Cabelas. There is more build detail in the link below my signature. Looking forward to seeing your project.

Attachments

• 090211Honda_005.jpg
    090211Honda_005.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 412
  • Boat Stuff 007.jpg
    Boat Stuff 007.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Boat Stuff 008.jpg
    Boat Stuff 008.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 412
Check out my old build for front seat placement ideas.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21927&p=223603&hilit=chub+tub#p223603

Depending on the age of the boat there should be foam in the bench. You'll need to take a little out for the swivel mount, but it's no big deal. I do recommend mounting a piece of wood to the top of the bench for extra support becuase depending on the thickness of your aluminum, the metal may bend/flex as you lean in the seat. Also, a metal hole saw with center drill bit guide will make quick work of cutting out the holes for the bases.

Definitely keep the decks low for the best stability.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the pictures. That gives me some great ideas, and Butthead you have given me a great idea for the front upwards-slanting floor. I like it.

Thanks again guys, I hope to get this project underway this weekend (going to pick up a trailer) and get back on the water...without burning my rear off sitting on those aluminum benches.

Latest posts