Transom rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarazen1722

Reaction score
Don't know what forum to use but it's a project in a rebuild so here seem right

Transom rebuild - Previous owner had foam behind a board bolted to the cross members. I want to remove or repair rotted wood and fill in or whatever. Read somewhere about drilling and injecting CEPS to repair existing wood then what? Any ideas greatly appreciated. This is a project with my grandson and I wanna appear smarter than I am.

Attachments

• Transom 12 001.jpg
    Transom 12 001.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 401
:WELCOME: to Tinboats.

Safe to say that wood is beyond saving. Those braces look to be in your way. Easiest method IMO would be to remove the corner braces and bend the cap back so you can get your wood in there. Then have them bent back and corner braces welded. Otherwise you would have to bend or remove those floor braces to get your replacement wood installed.

Method I use, grab cardboard and make a template. Get some Non treated Ply, coat it with Spar urethane, sandwich two pieces, sand, then coat again 4 or 5 times, Use SS hardware and seal up your holes/hardware with 3m's 5200 marine sealant.

What are you putting on the back of the boat btw? If you are just going to use a trolling motor you need not go through all this trouble.

Thanks tyhat's what I'll do
Have a Nissan 18 restoring it to original - had to get the Decals from England -

The transom cap is gonna need welded broke in middle so maybe take the brases & cap both off the get everything welded back - who welds generally aluminum

While your doing It go ahead and run the wood all the way down and curve it with the hull all the way to the bottom. More surface area to mount any toys or fire extinguishers. When I replace my wood in the off season I'm gonna do the entire rear and put a nice urethane finish to top it off

Latest posts